History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Kirkoswald War Memorial

A Grade II Listed Building in Kirkoswald, Penrith, Cumbria

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.7639 / 54°45'49"N

Longitude: -2.6931 / 2°41'35"W

OS Eastings: 355500

OS Northings: 541211

OS Grid: NY555412

Mapcode National: GBR 9FMC.R2

Mapcode Global: WH80S.LJS9

Plus Code: 9C6VQ874+GQ

Entry Name: Kirkoswald War Memorial

Listing Date: 27 March 2019

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1463175

Location: Kirkoswald, Eden, Cumbria, CA10

County: Cumbria

District: Eden

Civil Parish: Kirkoswald

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Summary


First World War memorial of 1924 in the form of a medieval-style market cross.

Description

War memorial, 1920.

MATERIALS: red sandstone with bronze plaques.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial is in the form of a medieval market cross with a patonce cross (a cross with arms that expand outwards, the ends being divided into triple points imitating leaves) raised on a tall, chamfered shaft set on a plinth, the plinth being placed at the top of a set of three steps. The steps rise from a red sandstone pavement and are within an enclosure of iron railings with a gate to the west. The east face of the steps, facing the main road, carries the inscription:

1914-1918
ENOUGH THAT VALOUR FILLS THE SPACE BETWEEN

Above, affixed to the plinth, there is a bronze plaque with the names and ranks of 18 men ordered by surname. On the south face there is a similar bronze plaque commemorating the Second World War, listing the names and rank of four further men.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. One such memorial was unveiled by Colonel T Fetherstonhaugh on the 26 December 1920 in the square at the centre of Kirkoswald. The memorial was built by local craftsmen Mr H Graves of Lazonby, Messrs Ficher of Great Salkeld and Clementson of Kirkoswald as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community. It lists the names of 18 local men who died in the First World War with a plaque added after the Second World War listing the names of the four men from Kirkoswald who died in that conflict. The memorial, in the form of a medieval-style market cross, was placed on the site of Kirkoswald’s earlier market cross. It is not known if the memorial was a copy of the original cross.

Reasons for Listing

Kirkoswald War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following reasons:

Historical Interest:
* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* for preserving the site of Kirkoswald’s medieval market cross.

Architectural Interest:
* as a good example of a war memorial modelled on a medieval-style market cross.

Group value:
* with the Grade II-listed Village Stocks immediately adjacent to the west.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.