History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parish Boundary Stone, Broseley Lane

A Grade II Listed Building in Culcheth, Warrington

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4583 / 53°27'29"N

Longitude: -2.5335 / 2°32'0"W

OS Eastings: 364673

OS Northings: 395863

OS Grid: SJ646958

Mapcode National: GBR BXRG.90

Mapcode Global: WH98D.1BVM

Plus Code: 9C5VFF58+8J

Entry Name: Parish Boundary Stone, Broseley Lane

Listing Date: 16 August 2019

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1464173

Location: Culcheth and Glazebury, Warrington, WA3

County: Warrington

Civil Parish: Culcheth and Glazebury

Built-Up Area: Culcheth

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Summary


Boundary Stone, early C19 or earlier.

Description

Boundary Stone, early C19 or earlier.

MATERIALS: sandstone, painted.

DESCRIPTION: the boundary stone is set on the west verge of Broseley Lane. It has a similar appearance to a small milestone, standing approximately 0.35m high, with a triangular section and a flat top. The latter is inscribed with a non-vertical bench mark symbol. The rear panel is plain, the southern panel is inscribed: BOUN/ CULCHETH and the northern panel is inscribed DARY/ KENYON; the inscription BOUN and DARY forming the word: BOUNDARY. The stone is painted white and all lettering is black.

History

The boundary stone is considered to be at least early C19 in date, and to mark the parish boundary between Kenyon and Culcheth, which followed the course of the now culverted Jibcroft Brook. It is depicted on the first edition 1:10,560 Ordnance Survey map, surveyed between 1845 and 1847, and continues to be shown on later editions in the same position as today. The parish boundary was originally marked along its length by a number of boundary stones and posts, of which at least one other is known to survive, situated in a wall adjacent to Boundary Cottages, Wigshaw Lane. The boundary stone was also used as an Ordnance Survey bench mark and is depicted as such on the 1893 1:2,500 Ordnance Survey map. The stone has suffered some minor damage from mowing machines.

Reasons for Listing

The Parish Boundary Stone, Broseley Lane, Culcheth, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Architectural Interest:
* it dates to the early C19 or earlier and there is a general presumption that all surviving pre-1850 parish boundary stones should be listed;

* it survives intact in its original position, with a legible inscription, and includes a non-vertical bench mark that adds to its special interest.

Historic Interest:
* the stone is a tangible reminder of the delineation of the limits of parochial jurisdiction during the early C19.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.