This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9913 / 51°59'28"N
Longitude: 0.9976 / 0°59'51"E
OS Eastings: 605909
OS Northings: 236778
OS Grid: TM059367
Mapcode National: GBR SM4.11S
Mapcode Global: VHKFN.76RT
Plus Code: 9F32XXRX+G3
Entry Name: Holton St Mary War Memorial
Listing Date: 7 January 2020
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1465009
Location: Holton St. Mary, Babergh, Suffolk, CO7
Civil Parish: Holton St. Mary
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
First World War memorial, 1920, with later-C20 replacement cross.
First World War memorial, 1920, with a later-C20 replacement Latin cross.
DESCRIPTION: Holton St Mary war memorial stands in a prominent position in the churchyard of the Church of St Mary (listed Grade II*), immediately to the west-south-west of the south porch.
The memorial comprises a small Latin cross atop a shaft which tapers, circular in section from a square plinth, the whole standing on a single-stepped, square base. A tablet fixed to the front of the plinth bears the main dedicatory inscription which reads 'IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF / [NAMES] / WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR THEIR COUNTRY / 1914 - 1919'.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was raised in Holton St Mary in Suffolk as a permanent testament to the five men of the parish who died during the conflict. It was unveiled and dedicated on 16 May 1920 by the Reverend CJ Howard, Rector of Holton St Mary. The memorial is described in a contemporary newspaper article as comprising ‘an ornamental lamp, on pillar and pedestal’. As the memorial is now topped by a Latin stone cross it appears that the original ornamental lamp has now been lost.
Holton St Mary War Memorial, unveiled and dedicated in 1920, with a later-C20 replacement Latin cross, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of a world event on this community, and the sacrifices it made in the First World War.
* as an accomplished and well-realised war memorial which takes the form of an obelisk.
* with the Church of St Mary (listed Grade II*).
Other nearby listed buildings