History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Erwarton War Memorial

A Grade II Listed Building in Arwarton, Suffolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9663 / 51°57'58"N

Longitude: 1.2313 / 1°13'52"E

OS Eastings: 622073

OS Northings: 234693

OS Grid: TM220346

Mapcode National: GBR VQ9.L4Z

Mapcode Global: VHLC7.9T9Z

Plus Code: 9F33X68J+GG

Entry Name: Erwarton War Memorial

Listing Date: 29 May 2020

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1470057

Location: Arwarton, Babergh, Suffolk, IP9

County: Suffolk

Civil Parish: Arwarton

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Summary


A First World War memorial, unveiled 1920; altered after the Second World War.

Description

A First World War memorial, unveiled 1920; altered after the Second World War.

MATERIALS: Portland stone.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial stands in a prominent position beside the entrance to the churchyard, close to the Church of St Mary.

The memorial comprises a Latin cross with capped arms on a two-tier square pedestal and single-stepped square base. The north face of the cross bears a relief-carved Sword of Sacrifice. The main inscription in incised lettering on the north face of the plinth reads: IN MEMORY OF THE / MEN OF THIS PARISH / WHO FELL IN THE / 1914 GREAT WAR 1918 followed by the names of the six men who fell in that conflict. A further inscription on the east face of the plinth reads: 1939 – 1945 and the name of the one person who fell.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Erwarton as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the six members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

The memorial was constructed by Mr E Saunders of Ipswich. It was unveiled on Sunday 25 July 1920 by Captain G St John, when it was also dedicated by Rev R J Utten Todd, the rector of Erwarton.

The name of one parishioner who fell during the Second World War was subsequently added to the memorial.

Reasons for Listing

Erwarton War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as a simple yet evocative example of a Latin cross bearing the Sword of Sacrifice.

Group value:

* with the Church of St Mary (Grade I) and the Erwarton Almshouses (Grade II).

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.