This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.0059 / 56°0'21"N
Longitude: -3.5163 / 3°30'58"W
OS Eastings: 305545
OS Northings: 680253
OS Grid: NT055802
Mapcode National: GBR 1W.TN06
Mapcode Global: WH5R3.Y9RN
Entry Name: Blackness Castle
Listing Date: 22 February 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 330424
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB230
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Bo'Ness and Carriden
Electoral Ward: Bo'ness and Blackness
Traditional County: West Lothian
15th cent. CURTAIN WALLS: Plan resembling <> of a ship.
NORTH BASTION ('the Stem'): Altered 1693. 2 vaulted storeys
and pit-prison. surmounted by gun-platform. MID TOWER ('the
Main Mast'). Square. 4 storeys. Corbelled parapet. Angle
turrets, Barrel-vaulted rooms. Turnpike stair-tower (added
1667). Draw-well outside. GOVERNOR'S HOUSE at S. end: 16th
cent. L-plan. 4 storeys and cape-house (corbie-stopped).
Terrace on court side. Turnpike stair leading to Hall etc.
SPUR to W. of House: Heightened and altered 1693. Angle
turret. Iron yett opening on to pend.
Crown property On a rocky promontory (the Black Ness) on
Firth of Forth. Built as a royal fortress. In 17th cent. it
was a State prison for distinguished Covenanters. One of 4
Scottish Castles maintained according to Treaty of Union
1707. Converted into Ordnance depot 1870. Garrisoned until
1919. Guardianship Monument. Area scheduled 23 February 1996.
Other nearby listed buildings