History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ospisdale House

A Category B Listed Building in East Sutherland and Edderton, Highland

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.8789 / 57°52'44"N

Longitude: -4.1706 / 4°10'14"W

OS Eastings: 271372

OS Northings: 889786

OS Grid: NH713897

Mapcode National: GBR J72X.29Z

Mapcode Global: WH4DK.X758

Plus Code: 9C9QVRHH+HQ

Entry Name: Ospisdale House

Listing Name: Ospisdale House and West Gate Piers

Listing Date: 18 March 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 330476

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB274

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Creich (Highland)

County: Highland

Electoral Ward: East Sutherland and Edderton

Parish: Creich (Highland)

Traditional County: Sutherland

Find accommodation in
Spinningdale

Description

Later 18th core of symmetrical 2-storey and attic, 3-bay
house with centre door; front facade subsequently extended
by single bay to west; shallow crenellated bowed outer
bay windows rising full height added circa 1930. All
harled with tooled ashlar margins. Entrance (now
off-centre) in centre of former 3-bay house, with polished
ashlar Roman Doric columned portico. Wide outer shallow
bowed bays rise full height with flanking tooled ashlar
panelled pilasters, linked by lintel band of ground floor
windows, and with crenellated wallheads; tripartites in
ground and 1st floors. 3 piended dormers (probably circa
1830) with pilastered detailing to wooden jambs and 9-pane
glazing. Circa 1930 enlargement of ground floor window
left of entrance to tripartite and to bipartite in 1st
floor window above. Extensive wing to rear, presenting
near symmetrical, 2-storey and attic, 6-bay facade to
east; centre 2 bays rising to piended roof with 2 piended
dormers and flanking ridge stacks. Mainly 12-pane glazing;
panelled ridge and end stacks; slate roofs. Irregular
service wing to NW. Gate piers; 2 pairs late 18th/early
19th century square white-washed ashlar gate piers, with
deep moulded cornices and urn finials on stepped caps.
Later cast-iron gate and flanking pedestrian gates.

Statement of Interest

Capisdale House home of the Gilchrist family in later

18th and 19th centuries. West drive appears to pre-date

later drive with lodge (not listed) giving onto main A9

road. Old drive leads to much altered steading, dated

1827 and 1845 and initialled D G for Dougal Gilchrist who

lived at Ospisdale in 1791 and succeeded by his nephew,

also Dougal Gilchrist. Ospisdale House built on site of

earlier tower house (known to have existed by 1568).

Small house marked on estate map of 1705.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.