History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Club Room, Astley Hall, Arisaig

A Category B Listed Building in Caol and Mallaig, Highland

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.9103 / 56°54'37"N

Longitude: -5.842 / 5°50'31"W

OS Eastings: 166209

OS Northings: 786460

OS Grid: NM662864

Mapcode National: GBR CBYG.BVG

Mapcode Global: WGZBR.7KCV

Plus Code: 9C8PW565+46

Entry Name: The Club Room, Astley Hall, Arisaig

Listing Name: Arisaig Village, Astley Hall

Listing Date: 5 October 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 330531

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB320

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Arisaig and Moidart

County: Highland

Electoral Ward: Caol and Mallaig

Parish: Arisaig And Moidart

Traditional County: Inverness-shire

Find accommodation in
Arisaig

Description

Philip Webb, 1893, with rear wing (The Club Room) by George Jack, 1910. Long weatherboarded single storey village hall; rear extension of similar materials in re-entrant angle. Coursed rubble plinth.

Off-centre entrance in south elevation of main hall and further entrance in east gable; 4 3-light windows with multi-pane glazing in south elevation, 2 masked by weatherboarding; 2 similar blocked windows in west gable.

Slightly lower single storey and attic rear wing; 7-light window in east elevation, of which 6 6-pane casements survive. 3 flat headed dormers in west elevation, 2 blocked and single dormer original 9-pane glazing.

1910 square porch in east re-entrant angle with piended roof.

End stacks; steeply pitched piended slate roofs (except at north gable of rear wing, which is gabled).

Interior; simple interior. Main room as village hall; room with kitchen in rear extension.

Statement of Interest

Arisaig House and steading and Astley Hall the only buildings in Scotland by Philip Webb (1831-1915). Plaque inside reads "The Astley Hall (designed by Philip Webb, 1893) and the Club Room (G Jack, 1910) were built by Miss C C Astley for the people of Arisaig & District. The floor renewed (1934) and the electric light installed (1936) in memory of Sir Arthur and Lady Nicholson and Miss C C Astley who, loving Arisaig, did their best at all times for its welfare; let this be in the mind of everyone who lives or comes here. Vision, Courage, Charity."

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.