History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

West Walled Garden, Novar House

A Category B Listed Building in Alness, Highland

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.6808 / 57°40'51"N

Longitude: -4.328 / 4°19'40"W

OS Eastings: 261280

OS Northings: 868048

OS Grid: NH612680

Mapcode National: GBR H8PF.86Q

Mapcode Global: WH3DB.H68M

Plus Code: 9C9QMMJC+8Q

Entry Name: West Walled Garden, Novar House

Listing Name: Novar House and Walled Gardens

Listing Date: 25 March 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 330577

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB338

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Alness

County: Highland

Electoral Ward: Cromarty Firth

Parish: Alness

Traditional County: Ross-shire

Find accommodation in
Evanton

Description

House; of varying dates from 1720, on earlier site and
possibly incorporating earlier fragments. Large 2-storey
south facing U-plan house with inner courtyard, and service
wings extending north flanking walled courtyard. All harled
with ashlar and rendered dressings.
Tall centre symmetrical south facing 2-storey and attic,
5-bay block, dated 1720; wallhead and attic storey raised in
1897, when various carved stones were inserted above each 1st
floor window. 3 gabletted dormers; corniced end stacks.
2 storey, 2-bay wings flank centre south block at east and
west with east and west canted bay windows rising full
height. Rear wings have cross wing enclosing inner court
reached through advanced centre open pedimented bay with
narrow arched entrance and flanking rusticated rendered
pilasters with eagle finials and centre round-headed 1st
floor window. Re-sited modern asymmetrically placed porticoed
entrance to main house (dated 1956) within inner court.
Projecting rear service wings each include 3 garages slapped
in ground floors, with rendered surrounds with rusticated
keystoned detailing. Mainly 12-pane glazing; corniced end and
ridge stacks; crow-stepped gables; piended and gabled slate
roofs. Outer courtyard enclosed by high coped rubble walls
with centre entrance at north flanked by pair rusticated
gate piers with moulded copes and ball finials.
Interior: some changes in ground floor plans owing to various
additions and to principal entrance being moved from centre
south to north side of house. Large centre ground floor south
hall enlarged and converted to dining room, with inserted
party wall screening centre stairs. Later 18th century west
drawing room has swagged plaster ceiling mouldings enclosing
de Wit allegorical painting removed from Rosehaugh (Avoch
parish; W Flockhart, 1893, demolished circa 1972). Similar
room at east with later 18th century simple moulded ceiling
cornice; various later 18th century chimney pieces, doors and
doorcases. Wide later 18th century stairs with turned wood
balusters, leading to 1st floor landing and long 1st floor
drawing room, taking up all centre south five bays. Ornate
later 18th century Adamesque moulded ceiling in blue and
white, divided into 3 deep compartments; later 18th century
chimney pieces (wood) with simple swags; small late 19th
century gallery over centre door, decorated as ceiling.
Walled gardens; ornamental walled garden extends to west of
house with (1956) niches containing garden statuary. Further
large walled garden with high coped rubble walls and ornate
wrought iron gates stands to north of house.

Statement of Interest

Marriage stone of 1634, initialled RM IM inserted in west

elevation. (M for Munro). East and West outer canted bays

possibly by John Adam. Former privy with piended roof stands

in west garden, now converted as garden pavilion. Photograph

of front of house before 1897 alterations in possession of

owner.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.