This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.3904 / 57°23'25"N
Longitude: -3.4549 / 3°27'17"W
OS Eastings: 312645
OS Northings: 834269
OS Grid: NJ126342
Mapcode National: GBR K9V5.S4X
Mapcode Global: WH5JC.WHZS
Plus Code: 9C9R9GRW+52
Entry Name: Church Of Scotland, Advie Parish Church
Listing Name: Advie Parish Church, Church of Scotland
Listing Date: 20 December 1979
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 330584
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB344
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Cromdale, Inverallan and Advie
Electoral Ward: Badenoch and Strathspey
Parish: Cromdale, Inverallan And Advie
Traditional County: Morayshire
A & W Reid, Elgin 1873-4, substantial additions and internal
refitting, John Robertson, Inverness. 1904-5. Rubble,
tooled ashlar dressings.
Simple 1873-4 rectangular church with small cusped lights
orientated E-W, with 1904 additional tower with porch and
gabled lobby at SW and projecting bowed 3 window bay at SE.
Recessed pointed headed doorway under shallow gabled porch
in base of 2-stage tower; doubled leaf panelled doors. Upper
stage of tower with paired pointed-headed louvred
lancets in each face, and pierced parapet with angle and
centre pinnacles rising from angle buttresses and engaged
centre piers; flanking projecting gable (R) with long
2-light window; apex cross. Bowed SE bay with piended bowed
slate roof with apex cast-iron weather vane. Mainly
lattice-pane glazing; slate roof. Vestry wing to rear.
Interior; Gothic decoration to triple panelled backboard;
panelled pulpit at NE and reading desk SE; similarly
detailed communion table with railings; shaped ends to pews.
Various mural memorials including to Edward VII and 7th and
8th Earls of Seafield.
Some windows filled with stained glass of various dates,
including 2 by Heaton Butler and Bane of London.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Present burial
ground at NJ 141 353 the site of earlier Advie church.
Advie annexed to Cromdale 1593, but declared Quoad Sacra
parish in 1888. Additions to church in 1904-5 gifted by
George McCorquodale of Dalcroy and Tulchan in memory of his
son. E G McCorquodale, died 24.5.1904. Memorial to Edward
VII "who often worshipped here".