History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Applecross House

A Category B Listed Building in Applecross, Highland

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.4441 / 57°26'38"N

Longitude: -5.8032 / 5°48'11"W

OS Eastings: 171883

OS Northings: 845692

OS Grid: NG718456

Mapcode National: GBR D911.JMQ

Mapcode Global: WGZ87.T5R4

Plus Code: 9C9PC5VW+JP

Entry Name: Applecross House

Listing Name: Applecross House

Listing Date: 25 March 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 330743

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB459

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Applecross

County: Highland

Electoral Ward: Wester Ross, Strathpeffer and Lochalsh

Parish: Applecross

Traditional County: Ross-shire

Find accommodation in
Applecross

Description

Circa 1730-40 with some mid-late 19th century additions and

alterations. 3-storey and attic, double pile house of 5 bays; contemporary or near contemporary single storey and attic

flanking wings at right angles to east and west gables,

extending north to form U-plan entrance court. All harled

with contrasting painted ashlar margins; all 18th century

reveals have simple chamfers. Symmetrical north and south

elevations to main house with outer windows set in pairs.

Entrance in centre, ground floor of north elevation, masked

by small projecting square porch; tripartite window in centre

2nd floor. South elevation has later 19th century large

single storey porch projecting from centre front, with

entrances, each with wide lights, in east, west and south

sides and with deep over-hanging eaves supported on slender

cast-iron columns, with decorative cast-iron railing to roof

balcony and re-set triangular datestone of 1675 over

corniced south door. From this porch flight of steps rise to

join stairwell, entrance having been slapped in central stair

window lighting stairwell half landing. Unaltered stair

window above. Mid-later 19th century additions also include

elongation of flanking courtyard wings, and single storey

extensions to NE, piended dormers in north and in single

storey wings, 3 late 19th century bargeboarded dormers in

south. 12-pane glazing; crowsteps; original 18th century

moulded chimney copes to end and ridge stacks; slate roofs.

Interior; later 19th century interior fittings with original

room plan; late 19th century staircase with turned wooden

balustrade; later 19th century cast-iron chimney pieces in

1st floor dining and drawing rooms.

Statement of Interest

Double pile plan similar to Flowerdale (1738, Gairloch) and

other 18th century West Coast 18th century "Laird's Houses".

Siting of stairwell & half landing windows in south elevation

and entrance in rear resembles. Udrigle House, 1745, also

Gairloch Parish. Applecross House belonged to Mackenzies of

Applecross until mid 19th century, when sold to Lord

Middleton.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.