This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.4485 / 57°26'54"N
Longitude: -6.5901 / 6°35'24"W
OS Eastings: 124740
OS Northings: 849106
OS Grid: NG247491
Mapcode National: GBR B931.B7S
Mapcode Global: WGX5L.R12Q
Plus Code: 9C9MCCX5+CX
Entry Name: Dunvegan Castle, Skye
Listing Name: Dunvegan Castle, Approach Causeway and Bridges
Listing Date: 5 October 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 330804
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB501
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Eilean á Chèo
Traditional County: Inverness-shire
Imposing castle, now of mainly mid 19th century appearance,
sited on rocky outcrop, linked to adjoining grounds by
parapeted causeway carried on rubble bridge, leading to
principal entrance in east elevation. Building dates extend
from 14th to 20th centuries; Robert Brown, junior, Edinburgh,
1840, and restoration by Colin Sinclair (of H & D Barclay)
Glasgow, 1939. All harled with ashlar margins and dressings.
14th century core now incorporated in 19th century drawing
room wing (north) with square corbelled and crenellated
tower. 3 storey square 16th/17th tower house (SE) with
corbelled and crenellated parapet and crowstepped caphouse.
Excepting south eastern tower house, remainder of castle
appears of mid-19th century date, roughly rectangular, 4
storeys, crenellated with corbelled turrets to all angles.
East front with entrance in form of gatehouse with octagonal
Gothick towers flanking projecting central porch with
4-centred head, recessed hoodmoulded window behind with
carved panel above; 2 storey balustraded 2 bay range links
entrance with SE tower (late 17th century balustrade). Mostly
19th century work with simple sash and case windows. Early
(probably 15th century) gateway to west (seaward approach)
with filleted cavetto moulding, simple cornice and yett.
Interior: mainly mid 19th century; impressive staircase leads
from main east entrance to 1st floor; enriched plaster
ceilings. Some datestones retained inside castle, including
one dated 1686, recording the rebuilding of the castle by
John Macleod, Lord Dunvegan, and Flora, his wife. Second
single arched ring rubble bridge over burn flowing close
beneath SE tower, carrying estate road from castle to "The
Other nearby listed buildings