History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ardnamurchan Lighthouse

A Category A Listed Building in Fort William and Ardnamurchan, Highland

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.7271 / 56°43'37"N

Longitude: -6.226 / 6°13'33"W

OS Eastings: 141587

OS Northings: 767473

OS Grid: NM415674

Mapcode National: GBR CB0Y.900

Mapcode Global: WGYBD.B5GR

Plus Code: 9C8MPQGF+VH

Entry Name: Ardnamurchan Lighthouse

Listing Name: Ardnamurchan Lighthouse, Keepers' Houses, Sundial Former Steading and Enclosing Perimeter Wall

Listing Date: 20 July 1971

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 330831

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB521

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Ardnamurchan

County: Highland

Electoral Ward: Fort William and Ardnamurchan

Parish: Ardnamurchan

Traditional County: Argyllshire

Find accommodation in
Kilchoan

Description

Lighthouse, Alan Stevenson, dated 1848 Tall (55m) 7 storey, pink tooled ashlar granite lighthouse, with semi-circular single storey projection clasping base to west. Bold but shallow entrance porch with plain ramped architraves and deep cavetto moulded cornice and shallow triangular block cornice with date.

Regular battered tower with slit windows in west wide in storeys 1-6; projecting wallhead walk with cast-iron balustrade corbelled out on pointed-headed mock machiolations. Triangular lattice glazing to domed light.

Keepers' cottages. Alan Stevenson, 1848, pair single storey 10-bay (overall) cottages. Entrances in bays 4 and 7, which together with bays 2 and 9 (each with single window) are slightly projecting. 12-pane sashes; eaves band, cavetto cornices and stepped blocking courses to projecting bays. Flat roofs with encircling blocking course; tall single and paired stacks with cavetto copes.

Keepers' houses and light linked by low coped tooled ashlar granite wall enclosing central court.

Sundial; painted fluted cast-iron sundial of standard design.

Foghorn projects from roof of small square concrete building linked by steel pipe for compressed air to harled engine house, circa 1940.

Former steading; 1848, long single storey slightly irregular 7-bay rectangular building, grey rubble with tooled pink granite dressings.

East facing front with wide centre segmental headed arched entrance with double leaf doors, flanking windows and with further door windows in outer bays, serving barn, byres and former workshops. 2 ridge stacks; piended slate roof.

Roughly coped outer perimeter wall.

Statement of Interest

Designed by Alan Stevenson in 1846 and built by Robert Hume, a contractor from Gatehouse of Fleet. The pink granite comes from Ross of Mull. Steading contained barn and byre to each of two keepers.

Modern keeper's house and engine room contains 3 Kelvin engines, 3 Alley compressors, a Raston generator and original prismatic lens.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.