History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Burial Ground, Abernethy Parish Church, Nethybridge

A Category C Listed Building in Badenoch and Strathspey, Highland

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.2759 / 57°16'33"N

Longitude: -3.6501 / 3°39'0"W

OS Eastings: 300604

OS Northings: 821792

OS Grid: NJ006217

Mapcode National: GBR K9CH.6QP

Mapcode Global: WH5JV.XD11

Plus Code: 9C9R78GX+9X

Entry Name: Burial Ground, Abernethy Parish Church, Nethybridge

Listing Name: Nethy Bridge, Abernethy (Old) Parish Church and Burial Ground Church of Scotland

Listing Date: 5 October 1971

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 330870

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB547

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Abernethy and Kincardine

County: Highland

Electoral Ward: Badenoch and Strathspey

Parish: Abernethy And Kincardine

Traditional County: Inverness-shire

Find accommodation in
Grantown on Spey

Description

Late 18th century, substantial alterations and additions,
A M Mackenzie; architect. Rectangular church with 1874
rear aisle under catslide roof. Squared tooled rubble S
elevation, harl pointed rubble rear, harled gables; tooled
granite dressings.
Symmetrical 6-bay long S elevation lit by round-headed
windows, those in bays and 2 and 5 narrower and former
entrances. Small round-headed gable gallery windows, square
headed rear aisle fenestration. 2- and 3-light (1874)
glazing to front windows; coloured geometric glazing.
Shallow crowstepped 1874 porch in centre of W gable; W gable
circular apex bellcote (also 1874) corbelled out under small
bellcast conical roof.
Single storey, 2-bay Minister's room projects at rear;
1874 crowsteps to all gables; slate roof.
Interior; simple interior; later 19th century seating laid
out in original manner centred on (earlier 20th century)
pulpit in centre of S wall. Pointed-headed aisle arcade
supported by painted cast-iron columns. Various 19th century
mural plaques.
Burial ground; Rubble walled burial ground; Pair square
tooled granite gate piers with flat caps and pair simple
cast-iron gates.
Fine collection of 19th century local slate tombstones.

Statement of Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such.

Church "elegant" in 1794, and in 1835 with a "beautiful

seat in the gallery opposite the pulpit for the use of the

family of the heritor" (Earl of Seafield).

Site probably of considerable antiquity being close to

Castle Roy (Scheduled Monument.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.