This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 57.4834 / 57°29'0"N
Longitude: -3.745 / 3°44'41"W
OS Eastings: 295476
OS Northings: 845025
OS Grid: NH954450
Mapcode National: GBR K83Y.C8M
Mapcode Global: WH5HV.F5XH
Plus Code: 9C9RF7M4+92
Entry Name: Ardclach Old Parish Church
Listing Name: Ardclach Old Parish Church and Burial Ground
Listing Date: 26 January 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 330883
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB554
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Nairn and Cawdor
Traditional County: Nairnshire
Donald McAndrew 1765, remodelling church of 1626 (evident in roll mouldings at E gable). Heightened and given round-headed windows by George Dunbar and John Wilson 1836-8. Interior recast by
Alexander Reid, 1892. Plain T-plan church, rubble with tooled dressings. 2 entrances in north elevation, flanking rear wing, each with round-headed window using lintel as cill. 4 large round-headed windows light long south elevation with single, similar windows in east and west elevations of rear wing; similar small gallery windows. Lattice pane glazing; slate roof.
Mural memorial of 1766 in east gable Interior; galleried interior stripped of most fittings.
Building no longer in ecclesiastical use.
Ardclach created a parish in 1650. Church sited at bend of River Findhorn on site of earlier church of St Luag. That portion of
the parish at Ferness crossed the river by a bridge formerly
sited close to church.
Pulpit and some pews from church now in present Parish Church,
the former Free Church. 1766 mural monument in east gable
"Erected" by William Baron, Minister and Jean Grant his wife
to Hugh their son and "ten more of sons and daughters. C(S) to B 23.3.94