This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.4634 / 57°27'48"N
Longitude: -3.7733 / 3°46'24"W
OS Eastings: 293718
OS Northings: 842842
OS Grid: NH937428
Mapcode National: GBR K81Z.XZX
Mapcode Global: WH5HV.0NGW
Plus Code: 9C9RF67G+8M
Entry Name: Glenferness House
Listing Name: Glenferness House
Listing Date: 26 January 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 330892
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB560
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Nairn and Cawdor
Traditional County: Nairnshire
Mansion house and estate buildings, Archibald Simpson, 1844-45. Alterations and additions to mansion, A. & W. Reid, 1869.
Traditional Norwegian houses 1890.
House; extensive 2-storey house, facing east/west; mixed grey
and pink rubble, tooled granite dressings. Main east front;
simplified classicism, 2-storeys, 2 wide pedimented advanced
outer bays, 4 narrower recessed central bays; screen linking
outer bays now glazed with later projecting porte-cochere with
Roman Doric columns. Single storey (1869) irregular range
extends to north, linked to 1 of 2 traditional timber Norwegian
single storey houses which flank outer wings, set at angles to
form semi-circular entrance front.
Garden front (west); asymmetrical massing centres on 3-storey
near centre Italianate tower, with re-entrant at right infilled
between tower and SW gable with later (1869) 2-storey, 3-bay
dining room with long windows in ground floor.
Single canted bay window rises full height in south gable.
Various 1869 service wings to north. 8- and 12-pane glazing;
bracketted cornices to some ground floor windows; band courses;
corniced ridge and end stacks; projecting, joisted eaves,
Interior; some original cornices and chimney pieces; library
at SE shortened in 1869 to accommodate passage leading to
1869 single storey billiard room. Decorative cast-iron
balustrade to staircase.
"Princess Stone" a cross slab in grounds is Scheduled Ancient Monument No 1233.
House formerly pink harled Present mansion built near site of
house commenced by Sir James Montgomery Cunninghame, but never
finished owing to his death (before 1842). Property purchased
by John Dougal of Ratho Park, Midlothian, who built present
house. Property bought by Earl of Leven and Melville in 1869,
in whose family it remains today. Plans and building
specifications dated 1844 remain in house; builders, Burgess
Specifications include "take down and re-use old house".
1869 plans with Moray District Record Office, Forres, Moray.