This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.9036 / 57°54'13"N
Longitude: -4.0115 / 4°0'41"W
OS Eastings: 280890
OS Northings: 892242
OS Grid: NH808922
Mapcode National: GBR J7GT.WSG
Mapcode Global: WH4DG.CL0V
Entry Name: Embo House
Listing Date: 18 March 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 330984
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB608
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: East Sutherland and Edderton
Traditional County: Sutherland
Circa 1790. Symmetrical, classical range, centre block
of 3 storeys over raised basement, 5 bays, flanked by
2-storey, 3-bay dwellings, linked to main house by single
storey bays each with large round-headed window
with dummy fanlight and Gibbs
surround. All harled with yellow ashlar sandstone dressings.
Main house has pedimented centre bay with centre door
approached by flight of steps, round-headed key-stoned
2nd floor window and apex chimney. Chamfered ashlar
quoins to ground floor, with deep lintel course linking
ground floor windows; small windows at upper floor with
9-pane glazing; 12-pane elsewhere. Eaves band and deep
moulded eaves cornice; moulded sides to skews; ashlar
end stacks. Outer wings each have 3 long windows in south
elevation and 3 small in upper floor, glazed as in main
house. Similar margins, eaves band and plain skews;
margined end stacks. Slate roofs throughout.
Symmetrical fenestration to rear; modern single storey
extension to rear of centre block.
3 original lead rainwater heads and pipes survive, the heads being fluted and having egg and dart decorative
heads being fluted and having egg and dart decorative
Interior; ornamental plaster ceiling in entrance hall;
simple decorative cornices in ground floor rooms.
Original wooden chimney pieces in ground floor rooms
flanking entrance hall, and in former drawing room in
east wing, all now with simple modern gates. Original
staircase with turned wooden balusters.
Large segmental headed fireplace in former kitchen
containing wall oven or aumbry; hearth now closed.
Built by Mr Robert Hume Gordon to entertain electors. It
incorporates fragments of earlier house, "an old building"
in 1769. Datestone of 1657 with initials SRDI and GL set
in wall of former kitchen wing.