This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.9954 / 55°59'43"N
Longitude: -3.4628 / 3°27'46"W
OS Eastings: 308856
OS Northings: 679016
OS Grid: NT088790
Mapcode National: GBR 1Y.V80G
Mapcode Global: WH5R4.SK7P
Entry Name: Hopetoun House
Listing Date: 22 February 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 330989
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB613
Building Class: Cultural
County: West Lothian
Electoral Ward: Linlithgow
Traditional County: West Lothian
Built by Sir William Bruce 1699-1704 but remodelled and extended by William Adam 1721-48. Consists of corps de logis linked by quadrant colonnades to advanced pavilions. All of ashlar. Before E. front lies a semi-circular terrace ornamented with sphinxes.
CORPS DE LOGIS: Central part of W. front (2 storeys on basement; 7 bays; piended slated roof; portico) is work of Bruce. E. front (long facade faced with giant order of Corinthian pilasters; balustraded attic storey above cornice) is work of W. Adam.
Interior: stair by Bruce (carving by Alexander and William Eizat). Splendid suite of rooms (including Red and Yellow Drawing Rooms by Robert Adam).
PAVILIONS: 1 storey faced with pilasters; central octagonal towers capped by cupolas. Stables in N. pavilion; Ballroom in S.
John Hope of Hopetoun (Leadhills, Lanarkshire) purchased
Barony of Abercorn 1678 from <> Seton. This and other
properties acquired by Hope in this parish were consolidated
and called Hopetoun Estate. John's son and heir, Charles
(created Earl of Hopetoun 1703) undertook building of
mansion to replace Midhope House. General Sir John Hope,
4th Earl, was born here 1765. John Hope, 7th Earl, first
Governor of Australia, was created Marquess of Linlithgow
Other nearby listed buildings