This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.9879 / 55°59'16"N
Longitude: -3.5239 / 3°31'25"W
OS Eastings: 305029
OS Northings: 678267
OS Grid: NT050782
Mapcode National: GBR 1W.VL9Q
Mapcode Global: WH5R3.VR4F
Plus Code: 9C7RXFQG+5F
Entry Name: Cottages And Stable Buildings, House Of The Binns
Listing Name: The Binns
Listing Date: 22 February 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 331015
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB632
Building Class: Cultural
County: West Lothian
Electoral Ward: Linlithgow
Traditional County: West Lothian
17th cent. Mansion, subsequently altered.
MAIN BLOCK: 1612-30. 2 1/2 storeys: harled. Slated roof with pedimented dormers, (dated 1621) on S. facing court. 2 turnpike stair
towers on N. side. Extended at ends c. 1670. N. side remodelled in castellated style. c. 1810 by William Burn. Making a 3 storey facade with crenellated parapets.
INTERIOR: Notable for 17th cent. plaster ceilings. Morning room & Dining room added in court. c. 1810.
S.E. & S.W. WINGS: Partly 17th cent. but refaced in castellated style and extended c. 1810.
Built for Thomas Dalyell, merchant in Edinburgh, who had acquired land of Binns 1612. Extended for his son and heir General Tam Dalyell, (1615-1685) who defeated Govenanters at Rullion Green (Midlothian) Nov. 1666 and raised the Royal Scots Greys here 1681. Altered for Sir James 5th Bt. Sir John Graham Dalyell 6th Bt. (1778-1851) was eminent antiquary and zoologist.
Other nearby listed buildings