This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.66 / 55°39'35"N
Longitude: -3.4739 / 3°28'25"W
OS Eastings: 307372
OS Northings: 641702
OS Grid: NT073417
Mapcode National: GBR 425Z.QW
Mapcode Global: WH5SP.LZZW
Plus Code: 9C7RMG5G+XF
Entry Name: Edmonston Mill, Candy Mill
Listing Name: Edmonston, Candy Mill (Formerly Edmonston Mill)
Listing Date: 12 January 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 331020
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB638
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Clydesdale East
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Circa 1800. 3- and 2-storey, rectangular-plan former corn mill in Gothic style, built into steeply sloping ground and converted to dwelling circa 1975. 3-storey section comprising S elevation with squared windows and round arched door at ground, round arched windows at first floor and small oval windows under eaves with modern corresponding rooflights over. Lower and narrower E section with small pointed arched window at upper level and round arched central doorway with key stone and small roundel window over at ground level gable. W gable with 20th century lean-to infill glazing to former mill wheel housing structure to ground and round arched window at second floor. Plain N elevation with glazed door, single window and small glazed former opening in wall. Droved quoins and window margins and random whinstone rubble with some concrete cills.
Timber sash and case windows, 12-pane at ground, and 3-pane curved astragal detail upper sash over 4-panes at first floor round arched windows. 20th century stained glass panels to oval roundels. Timber boarded doors to E gable with foliate detail roundels and iron strap brackets. Graded grey slate roof. Mill stones in garden as landscape features and steps.
INTERIOR: interior plan and detailing dates to reconstruction circa1975 with radial timber stair and exposed column and beam detailing using reclaimed timber, doors and other materials.
Candy Mill is a distinctive example of a former estate mill with fine stone detailing, which is unsually decorative for a rural industrial building of its type and which forms an important element of a small picturesque rural hamlet where two streams converge. The detailed design suggests the mill was built as much as a landscape feature as a functioning mill. It lies in the former grounds of Edmonston Castle (B-listed) which was built in 1815 by James Gillespie Graham (1777-1855) in castellated Gothic style with pointed arched windows. It is possible Gillespie Graham was also responsible for the mill construction as it would explain the decorative window openings on such a relatively humble building type.
The mill was built as a 2 storey and attic water powered cornmill on sloping ground which allowed level access through a granary to the kiln floor and to the mill attic from which the dried grain could fall by gravity to the mill stones. This method utilised the contours of the site to improve the functionality of the mill workings. The water wheel was sited to the W gable of the mill.
Candy Mill was derelict and roofless until circa 1970 when it was rebuilt using traditional and reclaimed materials. The mill was formerly known as Edmonston Mill as it has been known since it was built however the postal address is that stated in the statutory address.
John Thomson's Atlas of Scotland of 1832 shows the symbol for a mill at this location.
List description updated and statutory address amended 2013.