This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8308 / 55°49'50"N
Longitude: -3.0923 / 3°5'32"W
OS Eastings: 331675
OS Northings: 660264
OS Grid: NT316602
Mapcode National: GBR 61V0.BP
Mapcode Global: WH6T7.GPPY
Plus Code: 9C7RRWJ5+83
Entry Name: Manse Office, Carrington Hill, Manse Road, Carrington
Listing Name: Carrington Village, Manse Road, Carrington Hill, Formerly Carrington Manse, Including Ancillary Buildings, Walled Garden, Gates, Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 22 January 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 331067
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB684
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Midlothian South
Traditional County: Midlothian
1756. 2-storey and attic, former manse with later additions and alterations. Predominantly harled sandstone rubble with polished dressings. Long and short quoins; chamfered reveals to windows.
NE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 4-bay. Gabled bay advanced to outer left, window centred to ground and 1st floor; window to ground floor of right return; flat-roofed single storey porch of 1836 to re-entrant angle to right with window to centre and polished sandstone architraved doorway with panelled timber door to right return. Windows to recessed penultimate bay to right and outer right of ground floor; regular fenestration to remaining bays of 1st floor.
NW ELEVATION: symmetrical; 2 gabled bays; regular fenestration to ground and 1st floors of each.
SW ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 5-bay; gabled penultimate bay to right advanced; single storey, flat-roofed addition with central window advanced to ground floor; window off-centre to right of 1st floor; window to ground floor of left return, blind window to 1st floor above; window to 1st floor of right return, ground floor obscured by porch addition (see below). Irregular fenestration to 3 bays to left; coped rubble wall with doorway advanced between penultimate bay to left and bay to outer left. 20th century glazed lean-to porch to ground floor of bay to outer right; window to 1st floor; bipartite dormer in roof above.
SE ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 4-bay. 2 replacement small-pane windows to ground floor of penultimate bay to right and bay to outer right; regular fenestration above. Penultimate bay to left and bay to outer left gabled, window to ground floor of penultimate bay to left; glazed door to bay to outer left; regular fenestration to 1st floor; 4-pane window off-centre to left of gablehead.
Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows with metal framed exterior secondary glazing. Grey slate roof with lead ridge. Coped stone skews. Shouldered, coped wallhead stack to SE elevation, coped gablehead stacks to remainder, circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: original cornices and skirting boards predominantly in place.
Building to S of house: single storey; built into angle of walled garden. Random sandstone rubble with rubble dressings, boarded timber doors; small-pane windows; graded grey slate roof with some 20th century rooflights; coped stone skews; cast-iron rainwater goods. Pink sandstone rubble garage, adjoining to SE, with droved dressings and boarded timber 2-leaf door; brick, timber and harled additions.
Former offices to W of house: single storey and attic; random rubble with rubble and droved dressings. Replacement small-pane windows and porch to SW elevation; replacement small-pane window to NE elevation; SE elevation blank; advanced section of wall to centre of ground floor of NW elevation with boarded timber door to attic above; window flanking to left. Graded grey slate roof (originally thatched) with lead ridge; coped stone skews; coped gablehead stacks with circular cans; cast-iron rainwater goods.
WALLED GARDEN, GATES, GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: random rubble walled garden adjoining house and ancillary building to SE; iron gates to E and W; brick lined wall to W. W Gate: iron gate flanked by polished sandstone, coped, square gatepiers. E Gate: iron gate flanked by polished sandstone gatepiers, coped with chamfered angles and pyramidal caps. Tooled random rubble boundary walls with semicircular coping.
Carrington Hill, which over looks the village, was originally the manse. According to the Statistical Account it was built in 1756, "with thorough repairs in 1790". Further repairs and additions were carried out by Thomas Brown of Uphall in 1850, who also carried out alterations to Carrington Kirk (see separate listing). Carrington Hill remains a well proportioned building retaining much of its original character.
Other nearby listed buildings