This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.7367 / 55°44'12"N
Longitude: -3.8341 / 3°50'2"W
OS Eastings: 284935
OS Northings: 650778
OS Grid: NS849507
Mapcode National: GBR 12N3.QD
Mapcode Global: WH5SB.22HJ
Plus Code: 9C7RP5P8+M9
Entry Name: High Mill, Chapel Street, Carluke
Listing Name: High Mill Chapel Street
Listing Date: 12 January 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 331131
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB726
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Clydesdale West
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Built 1797. Tapering 3 storey rubble tower of circular
cross section, the top and sails missing. Attached a
mid 19th century double pile, 2-storey squared rubble
range housing the former threshing mill in the eastern part,
a brick lined kiln and loft in the western part with
machinery below the loft. To the northeast a square
section brick chimney with boiler house and outbuildings,
the latter partly ruinous. The tower mill still retains
some of the mill works eg shutes, hoppers, mill stones etc.
The machinery below the loft includes condenser of a steam
engine made by Easton and Anderson of London and most of
a Tangye gas engine.
1982 the interior works of the tower in a state of
collapse. High Mill is the most complete Scottish windmill.
The mill was powered by wind for approx 50 years then
converted to steam. It was working until the 1930s.
De-Scheduled on 26 May 2005.