History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

14 Fala Dam, Falaburn House

A Category C Listed Building in Crichton, Midlothian

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.844 / 55°50'38"N

Longitude: -2.913 / 2°54'46"W

OS Eastings: 342924

OS Northings: 661572

OS Grid: NT429615

Mapcode National: GBR 803V.4Y

Mapcode Global: WH7VG.7C3S

Entry Name: 14 Fala Dam, Falaburn House

Listing Date: 22 January 1971

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 331172

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB761

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Crichton

County: Midlothian

Electoral Ward: Midlothian East

Parish: Crichton

Traditional County: Midlothian

Find accommodation in
Humbie

Description

Circa 1800. 2-storey T-plan house with E wing; later single storey additions. Harled rubble, painted surrounds. Skew gabled.

N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: irregularly placed 3-bay to left, black painted surrounds; gable end to right: single-storey harled lean-to-extension, window to 1st floor left; plain skews continued under chimney, harled stack, projecting neck cope, paired replacement cans.

E ELEVATION: blind gable, plain skews continued under chimney, harled stack, projecting neck cope, 4 replacement cans.

S ELEVATION: regular fenestration; single storey, semi-glazed lean-to extension.

W ELEVATION: 2-storey, 2-bay, rooflight to right; modern conservatory in re-entrant angle; projecting gable end: single bay to right, black painted surrounds; plain skews continued under stack, harled stack, projecting neck cope, 4 replacement cans; single bay to left return, black painted surrounds.

12-pane sash and case windows, older 2-pane rooflight. Piended grey slate roof, randomly placed ventilators and prominent overflow pipe. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: not seen, 2000.

Statement of Interest

Fala Dam is a good example of a relatively unspoilt hamlet. The village takes its name from the dam that was situated on the Cakemuir Burn. The house was in the past a carter's inn and most owners of the building have changed the position of the entrance door. By the 1930's, the house was known as Gavelton, and owned by Mrs Dobbin who transformed the garden. There is also a memorial written in French for a relative who died in Belize of Robert Waugh, a previous owner.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.