This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.844 / 55°50'38"N
Longitude: -2.913 / 2°54'46"W
OS Eastings: 342924
OS Northings: 661572
OS Grid: NT429615
Mapcode National: GBR 803V.4Y
Mapcode Global: WH7VG.7C3S
Plus Code: 9C7VR3VP+HQ
Entry Name: Falaburn House, 14 Fala Dam, Fala Dam
Listing Name: 14 Fala Dam, Falaburn House
Listing Date: 22 January 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 331172
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB761
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Midlothian East
Traditional County: Midlothian
Circa 1800. 2-storey T-plan house with E wing; later single storey additions. Harled rubble, painted surrounds. Skew gabled.
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: irregularly placed 3-bay to left, black painted surrounds; gable end to right: single-storey harled lean-to-extension, window to 1st floor left; plain skews continued under chimney, harled stack, projecting neck cope, paired replacement cans.
E ELEVATION: blind gable, plain skews continued under chimney, harled stack, projecting neck cope, 4 replacement cans.
S ELEVATION: regular fenestration; single storey, semi-glazed lean-to extension.
W ELEVATION: 2-storey, 2-bay, rooflight to right; modern conservatory in re-entrant angle; projecting gable end: single bay to right, black painted surrounds; plain skews continued under stack, harled stack, projecting neck cope, 4 replacement cans; single bay to left return, black painted surrounds.
12-pane sash and case windows, older 2-pane rooflight. Piended grey slate roof, randomly placed ventilators and prominent overflow pipe. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen, 2000.
Fala Dam is a good example of a relatively unspoilt hamlet. The village takes its name from the dam that was situated on the Cakemuir Burn. The house was in the past a carter's inn and most owners of the building have changed the position of the entrance door. By the 1930's, the house was known as Gavelton, and owned by Mrs Dobbin who transformed the garden. There is also a memorial written in French for a relative who died in Belize of Robert Waugh, a previous owner.
Other nearby listed buildings