This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7201 / 55°43'12"N
Longitude: -4.6187 / 4°37'7"W
OS Eastings: 235613
OS Northings: 650518
OS Grid: NS356505
Mapcode National: GBR 3B.DM3Q
Mapcode Global: WH3PP.0HX7
Plus Code: 9C7QP9CJ+2G
Entry Name: Drambuie House
Listing Name: Drumbuie House and Detached Barn, Including Adjacent Byre
Listing Date: 14 April 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 331344
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB900
Building Class: Cultural
County: North Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Dalry and West Kilbride
Traditional County: Ayrshire
1702 (dated), with additions circa 1900. Single storey and attic crowstep-gabled 3-bay farmhouse at right angles to road; later 2-storey piend-roofed wing to rear; 18th century single storey pitched roof range to R (truncated, see Notes). Limewashed rubble; painted, dressed margins; moulded eaves cornice. Detached crowstep-gabled, limewashed rubble barn to NE, aligned with road; adjacent byre.
SW ELEVATION: central pitched roof porch with bargeboard; timber 2-leaf boarded door and letterbox fanlight above; single windows in returns; flanking single windows, that to L altered and enlarged; 2 later piended, canted dormers with slated cheeks. Single storey range with single window; timber boarded door to screen wall.
NE ELEVATION: beaked skewputt to outer R with carved date '1702'; projecting 2-storey wing to centre L; single window to ground R; large window to ground and 1st floor in re-entrant to L; single storey later bay in re-entrant angle to R with timber boarded door to L and 6-part window to R; bay to L with small window to ground. Single storey range to L with 2 small window openings.
Timber sash and case 4-pane glazing. Grey slates; stone ridges to house and single storey range; beaked skewputts; gable stacks (altered).
INTERIOR: typically simple interior. Post-war chimneypieces; timber boarded doors; plain painted timber staircase.
DETACHED BARN: timber boarded door in roll-moulded surround to centre R of E elevation (to road); marriage lintel with intitials 'RB' and 'IM' (see Notes). Timber boarded door opposite in W elevation. Moulded eaves cornice; beaked skewputts; corrugated-iron roof.
BYRE: small, limewashed rubble-built byre, probably former cottage, sited across road from Drumbuie Farm; door to R, window to L. Corrugated-iron roof. Later concrete stall divisions.
Drumbuie House and the adjacent Drumbuie Farm (separately listed), together with their associated outbuildings, make an important and rare group of early vernacular buildings in the parish. Although the inevitable alterations exist, they are largely evolutionary and do not affect the inherent character too much. The buildings would have been thatched originally. The byre belonging to Drumbuie House (included in the listing), situated across the road to the south east, is also marked on the 1st edition OS map. In the 1881 Census it was described as a cottar's house with tenants named Hart.
The lands of Drumbuie were originally feued by Hugh, Earl of Eglinton in 1663 to four individuals: Robert Burns, miller at Hobkin Mill, the lands at Gatend; Hugh Kerr of Crummock, lands at Drumbuie (later exchanged in 1665 for Gatend); Robert Patrick of Waterside, lands called Drumbuie; and Thomas Glen of Shots, the land called Shots (Dobie p125). The Biggarts of Bridgend (Dalry) and Highgate (Beith) then acquired part of the lands of Drumbuie some time into the 18th century. The marriage lintel on the detached barn has the initials 'RB' and 'IM' and these initials probably correspond to Robert Biggart and his wife. John Patrick, youngest son of Robert Patrick of Waterside, had acquired the other part of the lands of Drumbuie in the late 17th or early 18th century. In 1802 Captain James Patrick inherited these lands and in the New Statistical Account of 1839 'Drumbowie' is said to be still in the ownership of Captain Patrick who in 1843 carried out the rebuilding of Drumbuie Farm.
According to the maps, the rear wing of Drumbuie House was added between 1897 and 1910 and the single storey range to the right of the house was truncated between 1858 and 1897; by 1910 the section to the far right had become just the screen wall that survives today. This range appears contemporary or near contemporary with the house and probably housed livestock. The date of 1702 carved on the skewputt of the north east elevation may indicate that this was originally the entrance elevation.