History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

West Gatehead, Laigh Milton Viaduct

A Category A Listed Building in Kilmarnock West and Crosshouse, South Ayrshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.5988 / 55°35'55"N

Longitude: -4.5672 / 4°34'1"W

OS Eastings: 238349

OS Northings: 636902

OS Grid: NS383369

Mapcode National: GBR 3D.N6TX

Mapcode Global: WH3Q8.TJBQ

Entry Name: West Gatehead, Laigh Milton Viaduct

Listing Date: 19 January 1982

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 331448

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB990

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Dundonald

County: South Ayrshire

Electoral Ward: Kilmarnock West and Crosshouse

Traditional County: Ayrshire

Find accommodation in
Dundonald

Description

William Jessop, engineer, 1809-11, restored 1995-96, Barr Limited. Stone railway bridge 5.8m wide spanning River Irvine. Four rounded arches with spans of 12.2 metres, rounded cutwaters with half-column buttresses rising through deck bands to parapet level. Coursed rubble masonry with rusticated free-stone to arch voussoirs, cutwaters and buttresses. Outward curved abutments on banks, with railway tracks approaching through cuttings. Bridge deck of crushed stone, parapets renewed. New metal railings.

Statement of Interest

Built as Milton Bridge as part of the Kilmarnock and Troon plate-way, which was opened in 1812 as the first public railway in Scotland ceasing operation in 1846. The earliest surviving bridge built for use by a railway in Scotland. The railway operated with a travelling steam engine hauling coal as early as 1816, though not with sufficient

success to replace horse-traction on the line. The contractor for the work was a 'Mr Simpson' (probably Telford's John Simpson) who was paid ?4,000 for the work thus a medium to low cost construction. The restoration work was funded by 7 different bodies. It involved a temporary damming of the river, the introduction of steel centering frameworks to support the extrados of the arches, the stabilisation of the piers, strengthening of the spandrels and a new deck. Defective masonry was replaced and the structure pointed with lime mortar. Formerly addressed simply as a disused railway viaduct.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.