This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9864 / 55°59'11"N
Longitude: -3.9636 / 3°57'49"W
OS Eastings: 277593
OS Northings: 678792
OS Grid: NS775787
Mapcode National: GBR 1B.VX2Z
Mapcode Global: WH4PS.2STL
Plus Code: 9C7RX2PP+HH
Entry Name: Wyndford Lock-Keeper's Cottage, Forth And Clyde Canal
Listing Name: Banknock, Wyndford Lock, Lock Keeper's Cottage
Listing Date: 30 June 1986
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 331561
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB1075
Building Class: Cultural
County: North Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Denny and Banknock
Traditional County: Dunbartonshire
Circa 1770. 2-storey, 3-bay former lock keeper's cottage; 2 storeys to N (rear), single storey to S, facing canal. Squared rubble, ashlar dressings. Later 20th century, tall single-storey lean-to extension at ground floor E.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: single storey, former entrance façade to canal tow-path at upper floor level. Central, gabled entrance bay; raised, chamfered door architrave. Windows to flanking bays with raised, chamfered margins; stone cills. Rectangular moulded cornice to eaves and gable.
W ELEVATION: window to 1st floor right.
N ELEVATION: 2 storeys. 3 bays at ground floor, central opening converted from doorway. Single openings to flanking bays. 2 narrow openings to 2nd bay, off-centre left and right; left opening shorter than right, possibly later. Raised, chamfered margins to all openings. Entrance through extension to E.
E ELEVATION: openings to ground floor right and 1st floor left. Extension to centre ground floor.
One of the best preserved examples of canal related housing along the Forth and Clyde canal, this cottage provided accommodation for the keeper of Wynford Lock, the 20th set of locks on the canal. Construction of the canal reached Wyndford around 1771, 3 years after it was started at Grangemouth. The accommodation was originally confined to the upper floor, with the lower floor used as stables for the horses that worked the canal. Lock 20 was used as a terminus for the pleasure steamers that became a popular attraction on the canal, but this terminus was later moved to the newly built stables at Glasgow Road, Kirkintilloch (see separate listing). It was also used as a station for the 'Swifts' passenger boats, and as a delivery point for goods going to and from the neighbouring Bankier Distillery (demolished 1990). Across the canal sits a small bothy used by the lock-keeper at work, and a building that was originally an Inn for canal workers (occasionally doubling as a stables). This has now been renovated into private housing. The cottage was in use until the mid-20th century, when the canal was closed and the cottage bricked up and de-roofed. It was renovated in the mid to late 1990s.
Wyndford Lock Keeper's cottage lies within the amenity zone for the Antonine Wall recommended in D N Skinner The Countryside of the Antonine Wall (1973), and which will form the basis of the buffer zone, yet to be defined, for the proposed Antonine Wall World Heritage Site.
Other nearby listed buildings