This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.987 / 55°59'13"N
Longitude: -4.5852 / 4°35'6"W
OS Eastings: 238829
OS Northings: 680135
OS Grid: NS388801
Mapcode National: GBR 0L.VV6M
Mapcode Global: WH3NB.JST4
Plus Code: 9C7QXCP7+RW
Entry Name: Masonic Hall, Gilmour Street, Alexandria
Listing Name: Alexandria, Gilmour Street, Masonic Temple
Listing Date: 22 July 1974
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 331615
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB1135
Building Class: Cultural
County: West Dunbartonshire
Electoral Ward: Leven
Traditional County: Dunbartonshire
John Archibald Campbell, dated 1888. Single storey and 2-storey over raised basement; L-plan block of keep and hall with link wall and courtyard. Scots Baronial main block; Arts and Crafts rear wings. Bull-faced pink sandstone, red sandstone ashlar margins and dressings. Corbelled balustrade.
S (GILMOUR ST) ELEVATION KEEP: 2-storey, 2-bay, square-plan keep to right. Steps and platt to main door, decorative cast-iron railings, tall cast-iron lamp standards. Scroll pedimented door surround with raised segmental-headed armorial plaque, boarded and studded door, inscribed frieze. Tripartite window to right, relieving arch above, tripartite window at basement. 2 windows symmetrically disposed at 1st floor, large terracotta plaque at centre, balustrade, bartizans. Advanced chimney breast to outer right at right return, large transomed and mullioned stair window; terracotta plaque at left; corbelled 3-stage, round tower at left return. 3-bay symmetrical range to left, open segmental-headed dormerheads. Gable, balustraded canted bay, window; aediculed window, segmental pediment, dated 1888; broad stack at apex with blind niche at centre.
W (SMOLLETT ST) ELEVATION: 3 bays symmetrically disposed. Blind tripartite basement windows; 3 segmental-headed window at principal floor; 3, large pedimented, transomed and mullioned windows at upper stage, thistle finial.
Leaded multipaned windows; 20-pane over 2-pane sash and case windows. ashlar coping to skews; green slates; replacement concrete tiles. Coped niched apex stacks.
INTERIOR: entrance hall, corridor and large hall have painted panels by Harrington Mann, depicting women?s work and episodes from 18th century songs. Large hall with hammerbeam ceiling, passage gallery; 2 ashlar 16th century-style chimneypieces, one almost full-height, smaller with painted panel.
The building was built as the Ewing Gilmour Institute for Working Girls. The painted hall is by Harrington Mann, one of the Glasgow Boys. It is now a Masonic temple.
Other nearby listed buildings