This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7083 / 55°42'29"N
Longitude: -4.7213 / 4°43'16"W
OS Eastings: 229120
OS Northings: 649446
OS Grid: NS291494
Mapcode National: GBR 36.FFR4
Mapcode Global: WH2NH.GS0B
Plus Code: 9C7QP75H+8F
Entry Name: 28 Main Street, Dalry
Listing Name: 28, 30, 32 Main Street/Corner Kirk Close
Listing Date: 23 December 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 331738
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB1229
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Dalry (N Ayrshire)
County: North Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Dalry and West Kilbride
Parish: Dalry (N Ayrshire)
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Dated 1870 on rainwater head. 2-storey and attic corner building. Painted ashlar. Main Street elevation: shop windows and doors placed asymmetrically to ground floor. Canted angle with central light of tripartite in ground and 1st floors. 3 return bays in Kirk Close. Continuous cornice above ground floor. 2 sash windows and 1 dormer on each elevation. Dentilled cornice. 2 corbelled and corniced wallhead stacks. Slate roof, piended at angle. Rectangular, double-faced, white plastic sign above door to Kirk Close with LOUNGE in red lettering.
INTERIOR: mostly intact 1958/60 decorative scheme is in place. Bar counter with slatted vertical timber detailing tapers towards floor. Simple shelved timber gantry. Pair of snugs with sliding timber doors, timber panelling, high level glass panels and bell pushes. Decorative timber and glass panels. Lounge bar with 2 tile fire surrounds with timber mantels. Timber bar counter with mirrored gantry at rear.
This is a well-detailed corner building which adds considerable character to the streetscape of the area and in which the public house contains a rare, virtually intact, decorative scheme from the late 1950s. Externally, the dentilled cornice and the canted corner angle are particularly distinguishing features. Internally, the public house was refitted in 1958 and the lounge in 1960 and most of this scheme remains in place, including the room plan, bar counter and gantry, the bell pushes in the two snugs and the mirrored gantry in the lounge. The completeness of the scheme is remarkable and adds significantly to the character of the building.
List description updated as part of the Public Houses Thematic Study 2007-08.
Other nearby listed buildings