This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0423 / 56°2'32"N
Longitude: -2.8194 / 2°49'9"W
OS Eastings: 349048
OS Northings: 683567
OS Grid: NT490835
Mapcode National: GBR 2Q.R8K5
Mapcode Global: WH7TJ.NDM8
Plus Code: 9C8V25RJ+W6
Entry Name: Greywalls, Duncur Road, Gullane
Listing Name: Gullane, Duncur Road, Greywalls with Lodges, Garden Walls, Gateway and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 5 February 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 331863
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB1337
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Lothian
Electoral Ward: North Berwick Coastal
Traditional County: East Lothian
Tagged with: House
Sir Edwin Lutyens, 1901. 2-storey Arts and Crafts house
formed of 2 interlocking ground plans: L-plan to W with
curved inner angle, linking with U-plan to E, with attic
floor. Sir Robert Lorimer 1911 added T-plan nursery
wing to W elevation. In 1972 a long single storey
extension to E elevation provided further bedroom
accommodation. Roughly squared and snecked Rattlebag
stone with pantile sections forming decoratve lintel detail.
Small-pane glazing pattern to square casement windows.
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: curved symmetrical frontispiece
with 5 bays at centre breaking eaves with parapet raised
in panels above 1st floor windows, flanked by raised
stacks; swept eaves to outer bays. Doorway at centre
with consoled, swan-neck Baroque pediment and moulded
lugged architrave with inscribed keystone. Oval detail to
paved entrance extending into vestibule. Window above
and to flanking bays, with narrow window at ground by
stacks. Polygonally roofed summer houses in boundary
walls extending SW and SE with roll-moulded doorway
altered to window to W summer house. Nursery wing
concealed by wall at W. 5-bay symmetrical U-plan to E,
opening onto walled garden. 3 centre bays recessed with
raised and gabled centre bay flanked by loggia at
ground, jettied 1st floor with multi-light windows under
eaves. Decorative sundial to gablehead. Gabled
advanced outer bays with diminishing sized windows from
ground to single attic lights in gableheads.
N (MUIRFIELD LINKS) ELEVATION: regularly windowed gabled
bays, advancing irregularly to right. Arched doorway by
re-entrant angle at centre, in gabled bay with battered
stack rising through left skew. Various other doors.
Grey pantiles to roof and as coping of chimney stacks and
single storey modern additions. Square, small-paned
lantern with leaded dome roof above entrance bay.
INTERIOR: much original interior work retained at ground
floor including keyblocked archways; decorative
cornices, panelled doors. Panelled library. Simple
chimneypieces with marble surrounds.
LODGES: 3 2-storey lodges sited SW of house, with
mirrored pair to N and S and larger lodge to E at centre.
Random Rattlebag stone. Small-pane glazing pattern to
casement windows. Piended pantile roofs. Rubble stacks.
N AND S LODGES: square plan with forestair to inner
elevation. Keystoned roll-moulded surround to doorway
under forestair, architraved doorway at top of stair.
Panelled doors raised ashlar band course at 1st floor, on
level with ashlar coping adjoining rubble boundary walls.
E LODGE: L-plan W elevation symmetrical. 2 1st floor
windows under eaves, central doorway with raised quoin
and keystoned rusticated surround. Ashlar cill course at
1st floor, continuous with parapet of boundary walls to N
and S. Piend-roofed rear wing to E with lower
piend-roofed outbuilding adjoining.
GARDEN WALLS AND GATEWAYS: Rattlebag rubble walls with
grey pantiled gablet coping. Garden landscaping and layout
by Gertrude Jekyll. Sunk croquet lawn to N with
rubble retaining wall and stone steps. Haha before golf
course at N. Round arched gateways in walled gardens
to S with boarded timber doors and droved rays in
surround. Garden seat set in recessed panel of gabled
bay in S boundary wall, with mandorla oculus above.
OUTER GATEPIERS: channelled ashlar rectangular piers with
INNER GATEPIERS: 2 pairs, arranged between lodges.
Ashlar piers with moulded bases and capitals, and angles.
Raised pilasters to ingoes with carved scroll capitals.
Commissioned 1901 by Sir Alfred Lyttleton MP for whom
Lutyens later built another house in Kent. Bought by
William James in 1905, for whom Lutyens later designed
Monkton, West Sussex. Arts and Crafts observance of local
material and character with Edwardian Baroque touch
in doorway, lantern and E lodge. Referred to as a 'golf box'.
Lyttleton requested large number of bedrooms, hence
formal rooms are minimal. Entrance inscription, 'Ung Dieu,
Ung Roy' was Lyttleton's family motto. Gardens give
instance of later partnership with Jekyll. Use of Lorimer for
additions appropriate as he has been dubbed the Scottish
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings