This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0165 / 56°0'59"N
Longitude: -2.7246 / 2°43'28"W
OS Eastings: 354927
OS Northings: 680633
OS Grid: NT549806
Mapcode National: GBR 2T.SZTH
Mapcode Global: WH7TS.31VJ
Plus Code: 9C8V278G+H5
Entry Name: Lodge, Rockville
Listing Name: Rockville, South Lodge with Retaining Walls. (Formerly Balgone South Lodge)
Listing Date: 7 December 1988
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 331962
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB1401
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Lothian
Electoral Ward: North Berwick Coastal
Traditional County: East Lothian
J Anderson Hamilton, 1859. 2-storey picturesque gate
lodge with pend and single storey side projection, in
original Baronial style. Ashlar; stepped string courses.
ENTRANCE ELEVATION: 2-storey gabled bay to left with
segmentally arched pend; roll-mouldings to pend
surround with decorative date panel and inscribed ribbon
above. Stepped string course encloses and passes under
tripartite window. Corbelled, canted oriel at centre with
stone roof and carved panel above. Roll-moulded doorway
under pend to right. Narrow gabled bay, set obliquely
to right of pend bay with narrow ground floor windows
and carved shield in gable. Single storey gabled bay to
right with tripartite at ground and blind slit in wider
gable above. Tall square stack to outer right wallhead.
REAR ELEVATION: gabled bay with pend, as above, to right
with gable moulding to narrow 1st floor window to armorial
panel and flanking roundels, with inscribed motto, above
pend, and clasping roll-moulded to pend. Carved floral
shields flanking 1st floor window and in apex. 2 gabled
bays set obliquely at left (as above); blank gableheads
with doorway to courtyard at ground.
OUTER (FIELD) ELEVATION: battered with set-off wallheads
stack at centre; no openings.
Small-pane glazing pattern to sash and case windows.
Slate roofs. Variety of decorative finials.
Gablet coped rubble retaining wall with doorway to
courtyard at rear, forming triangle with rising ground to
left. Low rubble retaining wall to driveway.
The Suttie family, who owned Balgone from 1680 hold the motto
"Nothing Hazard, Nothing Have", included on rear elevation. J
Anderson Hamilton used a more wild Baronial for Balgone East
Lodge, listed in North Berwick Parish, and probably designed
the severe Baronial extension to Balgone House. South Lodge
now separated from Balgone Estate.
Other nearby listed buildings