This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9919 / 55°59'30"N
Longitude: -2.596 / 2°35'45"W
OS Eastings: 362920
OS Northings: 677822
OS Grid: NT629778
Mapcode National: GBR 2Z.VJQK
Mapcode Global: WH8VZ.3N3C
Plus Code: 9C7VXCR3+QJ
Entry Name: Tynefield
Listing Name: Tynefield with Retaining Walls
Listing Date: 17 May 1989
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 332086
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB1476
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Lothian
Electoral Ward: Dunbar and East Linton
Traditional County: East Lothian
Late 18th century farmhouse, aggrandised and extended
circa 1820. T-plan with irregular additions and stair
block to NE re-entrant angle making L-plan. Rubble
whinstone, roughly squared for S elevation, with
contrasting ashlar dressings. Hoodmoulds to windows of
sides and rear with eaves course; string course and
cornice to S.
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: tall single storey, symmetrical
3-bay frontage, circa 1820, to gabled S wing. Tripartite
doorway set in segmental archway with decorative
fanlights. Venetian windows flanking with intersecting
tracery to arched lights. Panelled door. 1st floor
windows and gable head stacks to side elevations of S
N (REAR) ELEVATION: central 2-storey wing raised in late
19th century to include attic storey with piend roof
dormerheads to N and W. Re-entrant angle to SE with
extensions of varying date. Single storey lean-to N
gable across courtyard formed of lean-to outbuildings to
S, barn to E and cart and granary to N with blocked
segmental arches and square granary windows.
Small-pane glazing pattern to sash and case windows with
some 4-pane to later additions, some lying-pane.
Decorative cast-iron gutter head dated 1896 to side.
Plain raised skews to S wing with gable head stacks;
piend roof and centre stack to N wing; grey slates.
INTERIOR: tripartite vestibule screen. Simple classical
chimneypieces, panelled interior shutters and dado to S
RETAINING WALLS: ashlar coped rubble parapet to S with
former railings removed; cast-iron columns to timber
Architect possibly James Burn of Haddington (suggested
by McWilliam) or possibly Robert Brown who produced a
similarly classical facade in the same materials at
Lady's Field, Whitekirk in 1837 (listed separately).
Tynefield was long the property of the Hunter family who
produced a variety of popular wheat, "Hunter's", grown
for quality and productivity. In 19th century, gate
lodges stood to S (evident on maps of 1840 and 1854) now