History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Tynefield with Retaining Walls

A Category B Listed Building in Dunbar, East Lothian

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9919 / 55°59'30"N

Longitude: -2.596 / 2°35'45"W

OS Eastings: 362920

OS Northings: 677822

OS Grid: NT629778

Mapcode National: GBR 2Z.VJQK

Mapcode Global: WH8VZ.3N3C

Entry Name: Tynefield with Retaining Walls

Listing Date: 17 May 1989

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 332086

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB1476

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Dunbar

County: East Lothian

Electoral Ward: Dunbar and East Linton

Traditional County: East Lothian

Find accommodation in
East Linton

Description

Late 18th century farmhouse, aggrandised and extended
circa 1820. T-plan with irregular additions and stair
block to NE re-entrant angle making L-plan. Rubble
whinstone, roughly squared for S elevation, with
contrasting ashlar dressings. Hoodmoulds to windows of
sides and rear with eaves course; string course and
cornice to S.
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: tall single storey, symmetrical
3-bay frontage, circa 1820, to gabled S wing. Tripartite
doorway set in segmental archway with decorative
fanlights. Venetian windows flanking with intersecting
tracery to arched lights. Panelled door. 1st floor
windows and gable head stacks to side elevations of S
block.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: central 2-storey wing raised in late
19th century to include attic storey with piend roof
dormerheads to N and W. Re-entrant angle to SE with
extensions of varying date. Single storey lean-to N
gable across courtyard formed of lean-to outbuildings to
S, barn to E and cart and granary to N with blocked
segmental arches and square granary windows.
Small-pane glazing pattern to sash and case windows with
some 4-pane to later additions, some lying-pane.
Decorative cast-iron gutter head dated 1896 to side.
Plain raised skews to S wing with gable head stacks;
piend roof and centre stack to N wing; grey slates.
INTERIOR: tripartite vestibule screen. Simple classical
chimneypieces, panelled interior shutters and dado to S
wing.
RETAINING WALLS: ashlar coped rubble parapet to S with
former railings removed; cast-iron columns to timber
gates.

Statement of Interest

Architect possibly James Burn of Haddington (suggested

by McWilliam) or possibly Robert Brown who produced a

similarly classical facade in the same materials at

Lady's Field, Whitekirk in 1837 (listed separately).

Tynefield was long the property of the Hunter family who

produced a variety of popular wheat, "Hunter's", grown

for quality and productivity. In 19th century, gate

lodges stood to S (evident on maps of 1840 and 1854) now

demolished.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.