History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Fochabers, Castle Street, Gordon Chapel (Episcopal Church) and Gordon Chapel House (Parsonage)

A Category A Listed Building in Fochabers Lhanbryde, Moray

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.6152 / 57°36'54"N

Longitude: -3.0964 / 3°5'47"W

OS Eastings: 334595

OS Northings: 858887

OS Grid: NJ345588

Mapcode National: GBR L8QL.N7P

Mapcode Global: WH6JJ.DVRH

Entry Name: Fochabers, Castle Street, Gordon Chapel (Episcopal Church) and Gordon Chapel House (Parsonage)

Listing Date: 24 March 1988

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 332214

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB1549

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Bellie

County: Moray

Electoral Ward: Fochabers Lhanbryde

Traditional County: Morayshire

Find accommodation in
Fochabers

Description

Archibald Sipson, 1832-4; additions and alterations,
Alexander Ross, 1874.
2-tier Gothic church, combining Parsonage (former school) in
ground floor and chapel in 1st floor. Orientated N-S with S
entrance gable to Castle Street. Tooled ashlar entrance
gable, harled flanks, tooled and polished ashlar dressings.
Austere S gable with round-headed entrance (simple nookshafts
and moulded reveals) in centre and triple light
pointed-headed window above linked by cill course and
continuous hoodmould; flanking square clasping buttresses
with blind slits and terminating as octagonal gablet detailed
pinnacles with stiff-leaf finials. Projecting 2-storey stair
wing at W (1874).
Triple light window in 1st floor at N gable with (1874) rose
window above. Slate roofs.
Entrance to Gordon Chapel House in W elevation; varied
glazing to windows; single storey wing at NE with piended
roof.
INTERIOR OF CHAPEL: entrance lobby with mural memorial dated
1838. Stairs (installed 1874) lead to Chapel largely
redesigned and refurnished 1874. Flat ceiling removed and
replaced by hammer-beam roof; pine dado, pews and pulpit;
brass communion rail; richly stencilled N chancel wall.
Stained glass by Morris and Co, some designed by Sir Edward
Burne-Jones; E window depicting crucifixion (and probably
dating from 1874), 2 windows on W wall and 3 in E wall
depicting variously St Cecilia (1879), St Ursula (1887),
Archangel Raphael (1902), Christ the Good Shepherd (1903) and
St Michael (1914).
Later 19th century decorative brass wall light brackets.
Grey-white oval marble font with swagged and panelled sides
supported by slender stem on plinth (possibly re-used from
elsewhere).

Statement of Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such.

Chapel and school given by Elizabeth, wife of 5th Duke of

Gordon. Mural tablet in entrance lobby commemorates Alexina

Mackintosh, who died in 1838 aged 21 having been a school

teacher for 4 years.

Unusual 2-tier plan-form.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.