This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.6152 / 57°36'54"N
Longitude: -3.0964 / 3°5'47"W
OS Eastings: 334595
OS Northings: 858887
OS Grid: NJ345588
Mapcode National: GBR L8QL.N7P
Mapcode Global: WH6JJ.DVRH
Plus Code: 9C9RJW83+3C
Entry Name: Gordon Episcopal Chapel And Parsonage, Fochabers
Listing Name: Fochabers, Castle Street, Gordon Chapel (Episcopal Church) and Gordon Chapel House (Parsonage)
Listing Date: 24 March 1988
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 332214
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB1549
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Fochabers Lhanbryde
Traditional County: Morayshire
Archibald Sipson, 1832-4; additions and alterations,
Alexander Ross, 1874.
2-tier Gothic church, combining Parsonage (former school) in
ground floor and chapel in 1st floor. Orientated N-S with S
entrance gable to Castle Street. Tooled ashlar entrance
gable, harled flanks, tooled and polished ashlar dressings.
Austere S gable with round-headed entrance (simple nookshafts
and moulded reveals) in centre and triple light
pointed-headed window above linked by cill course and
continuous hoodmould; flanking square clasping buttresses
with blind slits and terminating as octagonal gablet detailed
pinnacles with stiff-leaf finials. Projecting 2-storey stair
wing at W (1874).
Triple light window in 1st floor at N gable with (1874) rose
window above. Slate roofs.
Entrance to Gordon Chapel House in W elevation; varied
glazing to windows; single storey wing at NE with piended
INTERIOR OF CHAPEL: entrance lobby with mural memorial dated
1838. Stairs (installed 1874) lead to Chapel largely
redesigned and refurnished 1874. Flat ceiling removed and
replaced by hammer-beam roof; pine dado, pews and pulpit;
brass communion rail; richly stencilled N chancel wall.
Stained glass by Morris and Co, some designed by Sir Edward
Burne-Jones; E window depicting crucifixion (and probably
dating from 1874), 2 windows on W wall and 3 in E wall
depicting variously St Cecilia (1879), St Ursula (1887),
Archangel Raphael (1902), Christ the Good Shepherd (1903) and
St Michael (1914).
Later 19th century decorative brass wall light brackets.
Grey-white oval marble font with swagged and panelled sides
supported by slender stem on plinth (possibly re-used from
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.
Chapel and school given by Elizabeth, wife of 5th Duke of
Gordon. Mural tablet in entrance lobby commemorates Alexina
Mackintosh, who died in 1838 aged 21 having been a school
teacher for 4 years.
Unusual 2-tier plan-form.
Other nearby listed buildings