This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.6129 / 57°36'46"N
Longitude: -3.0953 / 3°5'43"W
OS Eastings: 334659
OS Northings: 858630
OS Grid: NJ346586
Mapcode National: GBR L8QL.NT6
Mapcode Global: WH6JJ.FX87
Plus Code: 9C9RJW73+5V
Entry Name: Presbytery, Roman Catholic Church, Institution Road, Fochabers
Listing Name: Fochabers, South Street, Roman Catholic Church and Presbytery
Listing Date: 24 March 1988
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 332259
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB1581
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Fochabers Lhanbryde
Traditional County: Morayshire
J Gillespie Graham, 1826-8, after design by Bishop James
Kyle. Chancel addition, circa 1905. Rectangular, Gothic
building orientated N-S with S gabled entrance front. Tooled
ashlar frontage, mixed rubble flanks, tooled and polished
Main S gable front with central bay marked by stepped
buttresses, rising to panelled, gabletted pinnacles with
stiff-leaf finials, linked at wallhead by pierced balustrade;
gable apex finial. Wide pointed-headed entrance (modern
door), large perpendicular 3-light traceried window above,
similarly detailed 2-light windows in flanking bays,
crenellated wallhead, lattice-pane glazing. 2 tall geometric
tracery windows in E elevation only. Canted chancel (circa
1905) at N gable with paired hoodmoulded windows with
curvilinear tracery. Slate roofs.
INTERIOR: aisless interior with shallow pointed ceiling
supported at intervals by clustered columns continuing across
ceiling as ribs. Cusped panelled front to gallery at S.
Ornately carved and pinnacled reredos and carved marble altar
(1900). Stations of the Cross also 1900.
PRESBYTERY: mid-19th century 2-storey and attic dwelling with
long (rear) E elevation abutting church wall and with regular
3-bay S entrance gable. Mixed rubble, tooled ashlar
dressings. Off-centre entrance with flanking windows and 2
1st floor windows, all under relieving arches; single canted
dormer windows; varied glazing. Coped end stacks; slate
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.
Church replaced former RC chapel. Built at instigation of
Father Mattheson, who died before completion. William
Robertson, architect, Elgin, also drew a plan which was
rejected in favour of that by J Gillespie Graham. Robertson
inspected the 'New chapel' on completion.
Other nearby listed buildings