This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0373 / 56°2'14"N
Longitude: -3.5007 / 3°30'2"W
OS Eastings: 306595
OS Northings: 683732
OS Grid: NT065837
Mapcode National: GBR 1W.RRHN
Mapcode Global: WH5QY.6J81
Plus Code: 9C8R2FPX+WP
Entry Name: 4 North Row, Charlestown
Listing Name: 1-6 (Inclusive Numbers) Charlestown Village (North Row)
Listing Date: 31 December 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 332324
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB1637
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Rosyth
Traditional County: Fife
Later 18th century-earlier 19th century. L-plan row of 5 single storey cottages and 1 single storey and attic, (4 Charlestown Village), brick upper storey added 1850's. 3-bay cottages except 4-bays to L-plan 2 Charlestown Village. Rendered sandstone.
S ELEVATION: principal elevation to 3-6 Charlestown Village. 3 windows to left (2 Charlestown Village); central door with flanking windows elsewhere. Piended porch to 3 Charlestown Village. Box windows flank central door; 2 pitched dormer windows to 4 Charlestown Village.
E ELEVATION: plain gable wall.
N ELEVATION: some modern single storey rear extensions, some contemporary piended extensions remain.
W ELEVATION: principal elevation to 1-2 Charlestown Village. N outshot to 1 Charlestown Village; canted bow window to left of 1 Charlestown Village front door; single window to right. 2 windows to left of 2 Charlestown Village front door; single window to right.
INTERIORS: not seen, 2000.
Predominantly 2-pane timber sash and case windows apart from box and bay windows. Windows enlarged to 6 Charlestown Village; rooflight to front of 4 Charlestown Village; modern windows to rear. Continuous piended slate roof, broken by raised pitched slate roof to 4 Charlestown Village. 2 gable end stacks to 4 Charlestown Village; total of 5 ridge stacks elsewhere.
A-Group with 7-90 Charlestown Village, exluding 36-37 and 52-55 Charlestown Village; Charlestown, Bridge of Former Elgin Railway; Charlestown, Camsie House; Charlestown Harbour; Charlestown Harbour Road, Limekilns; Charlestown Village, K6 Telephone Kiosk; Charlestown Village, The Queen's Hall; Charlestown, 8, 10, 14, The Sutlery, 16, 18 Rocks Road; Charlestown, 12 Rocks Road, The Old School House; Charlestown, Rocks Road, Former Estate Workshop; Charlestown, Rocks Road, Old School. Charlestown Village was built by Charles, 5th Earl of Elgin (1732-1771) and was continued by his successors. It was built to the plan of the letter "K" and an elongated "E" (Kincardine and Elgin) and named after its founder. The Earl of Elgin exploited the nearby deposits of coal and limestone to create an industry which involved the establishment of the largest limeworks in Scotland, an iron foundry, brick works, the export of coal and coke, the necessary transport for the materials which included wagonways and the harbour and provided accommodation for the workers. Construction of the planned village commenced in 1756 at the middle stroke of the E (Double Row) with uniform workmen's cottages. By 1771, South Row, Lochaber and part of North Row had been built. The completion of North Row was the final stage in the development of the planned village. The houses were all built to the same size in sets of 6 with clay pantiles which were glazed black in colour to look like slate (some cottages retain these black tiles), and with a front or rear yard and rear kitchen extensions forming a double piended roof to the cottages. In 1840 6 wells were placed in the village, by the 1920's water was piped to every house and in 1930 indoor lavatories were installed. Most of the cottages are now in private ownership, although some still belong to the Broomhall Estate. The planned village has survived well and its importance is enhanced by the retention of its associated structures including the Queen's Hall, shop, school, limekilns and harbour.
Other nearby listed buildings