History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Auldearn Parish Church, Remains of Former Medieval Church, Burial Ground and Sundial

A Category B Listed Building in Auldearn, Highland

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.5771 / 57°34'37"N

Longitude: -3.8086 / 3°48'30"W

OS Eastings: 291941

OS Northings: 855561

OS Grid: NH919555

Mapcode National: GBR J8ZP.L3X

Mapcode Global: WH5H7.GTM5

Entry Name: Auldearn Parish Church, Remains of Former Medieval Church, Burial Ground and Sundial

Listing Date: 26 January 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 332336

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB1647

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Auldearn

County: Highland

Electoral Ward: Nairn and Cawdor

Parish: Auldearn

Traditional County: Nairnshire

Find accommodation in
Auldearn

Description

Parish Church dated 1757 replacing medieval church, part of which remains to east.

In accordance with Section 1 (4A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 the following is excluded from the listing: scheduled monument SM5418 (Auldearn, Old parish church).

Alterations by John Robertson of Inverness, 1898. Harled with ashlar margins and dressings. Symmetrical 8-bay south elevation with round-headed keystoned entrances in outer bays; similarly detailed windows, large in bays 3 and 6, small in remaining bays; impost blocks in windows and doors. Datestone in centre; 1650 mural monument. 4 large (1898) windows in north elevation with same detailing as in south elevation; all windows with simple circle tracery of 1898. Round-headed gallery window in east and west gables; bellcote for 2 bells at west gable apex; slate roof.

Interior; re-cast and re-furbished in 1898 in Gothic style. Panelled bowed pulpit and panelled reredos at southwest enclosed by low screen; serpentine pannelled gallery front at east; cusped tracery to ceiling braces.

Rubble walled burial ground. Pair of late 19th century tooled ashlar square gatepiers with Gothic detailing to west and pair of decorative cast iron carriage gates. Various 17th, 18th, 19th and 20th century tombstones.

Circular ashlar sundial on squat circular rubble plinth standing near southwest entrance of church.

Statement of Interest

Place of worship in use as such. 1898 alterations and renovation cost about £800, which was raised by a bazaar.

In accordance with Section 1 (4A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 the following is excluded from the listing: scheduled monument SM5418 (Auldearn, Old parish church).

Listed building record and statutory address updated in 2017. Previously listed as 'Auldearn Parish Church, Remains of Former Medieval Church, Burial Ground and Sundial.'

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.