This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.7268 / 56°43'36"N
Longitude: -5.2531 / 5°15'11"W
OS Eastings: 201067
OS Northings: 764188
OS Grid: NN010641
Mapcode National: GBR FBDY.BJM
Mapcode Global: WH1G8.85RZ
Plus Code: 9C8PPPGW+PP
Entry Name: Churchyard, Ardgour Parish Church
Listing Name: Ardgour Parish Church (Church of Scotland) and Burial Ground
Listing Date: 20 July 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 332397
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB1688
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Fort William and Ardnamurchan
Traditional County: Argyllshire
Thomas Telford, 1829, with subsequent alterations. Rectangular with standard Parliamentary Church NE front elevation; all squared, coursed grey granite with contrasting tooled sandstone dressings and harled gables. Shallow pointed-headed entrance in outer bays of NE front,
now blocked. 2 shallow pointed headed windows in centre of main front, similar single windows in NW and SE gables. Standard 1829 metal Y-tracery transom and mullion window frames with lattice pane glazing, except in SE gable. Late 19th century square single storey porch with crenellated wallhead masking later entrance in NW gable. Small single storey, 2-bay vestry projects at rear with entrance door and shallow pointed headed window with moulded wooden mullion and transomed Y-tracery window with multi-pane and Y-tracery glazing.
Parliamentary Church type bellcote at SE gable; cross finial at NW; flat skews; Interior: re-cast in late 19th century to SE. 2 panelled doors in centre of SW wall, in shallow pointed headed openings and both set in similar shaped recess. (1 door to vestry, 1 blind). Simple pine pews some fitted with re-used brass candelabra with barley-sugar twist stems.
Brass eagle lectern, also re-used. Communion table, pulpit and Elders' seats all 1930 designed by Pilkington Jackson.
Pulpit; octagonal panelled pulpit with simple carved detailing to legs carried up as half round decoration at angles. Inscription to AJH MacLean of Ardgour and his widow carved on door. Simple Holy Table with similar angle detailing as pulpit. Elders' bench with shallow canopy and 3 seats below window. Canopy carved wih vine leaf pattern and backboard with 4 roundels with relief carving of insignia of 4 Evangelists.
Simple boarded ceiling. Stained glass in SE window.
Burial Ground: simple rubble walled burial ground with roughly shaped cope. Pair later 19th century square tooled ashlar gatepiers with pyramidal caps flanked by short length of ornate cast-iron spear-head railing on low coped retaining wall; matching pair cast-iron gates.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Unusual variation of standard Teleford T-plan church. Linked to Quoad Sacra (1845). Parish of N. Ballachulish and sharing the services of the minister there, who had
his manse by the (now demolished) Parliamentary Church at Onich, rowing over to Ardgour of Corran on alternate Sundays.
Present manse of Ardgour dates from 1899 and the Parish now linked with Strontian and Kingairloch. Candelabra and brass eagle lectern from former Episcopal Chapel at Conaglen House on Loch Linnhe. Pulpit and communion table given in memory of A.J. H. MacLean of Ardgour by his daughters and Elders' seat, also in his memory, gifted by his sisters. (Information by courtesy Miss MacLean of Ardgour) - Church built on fine site by shores of Loch Linnhe, looking up the Great Glen. Only Parliamentary Church with vestry, for the use of Minister travelling by boat from Onich.