This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 58.647 / 58°38'49"N
Longitude: -3.2245 / 3°13'28"W
OS Eastings: 329032
OS Northings: 973889
OS Grid: ND290738
Mapcode National: GBR L5DW.9MV
Mapcode Global: WH6CF.FXRH
Plus Code: 9CCRJQWG+R6
Entry Name: Castle Of Mey
Listing Name: Castle of Mey and Garden Walls
Listing Date: 13 April 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 332540
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB1797
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Wick and East Caithness
Traditional County: Caithness
Probably 1566-72, with various 17th, 18th, 19th and mid
20th century additions and alterations. 3-storey and attic.
3-bay centre block with 16th century projecting 5-storey
square tower at SE, and 2-storey, wide single bay crenellated
dining room wing at west gable with angle bartizans.
(c. 1954). SE tower with angle bartizans, crenellated
with modern glazing. 2 wings project at rear forming narrow
wallhead and regular later single bay fenestration in south
elevation. 1819 (William Burn, architect) Baronial porch,
with round-arched detailing, and entrance hall fill SW
with round-headed entrance with flanking round-headed
windows and double leaf doors, in projecting canted porch;
5-light arcaded window above entrance. 2-storey wing
projects at rear, forming with main castle elevation, 2
sides of high walled rear court, with round-headed entrance
under crenellated wallhead.
Piended dormers rise through wallhead; sash and case
window with multi-pane glazing; gun loops in south elevation
of centre block and in tower; coped end and ridge stacks;
Property of H.M. The Queen Mother. Built by George, 4th
Earl of Caithness, and passed to his 2nd son, William, who
founded the line of Sinclair of Mey Name subsequently
changed to Barrogill Castle, but reverted to Castle of
Mey when purchased by H.M. The Queen Mother, c. 1953.
William Burn addition of 1819 largely removed during 195
alterations. Crest of H.M. The Queen Mother (carved by
Hew Lorimer, circa 1954) over 1st
floor dining room window at west.
Other nearby listed buildings