This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.5121 / 57°30'43"N
Longitude: -3.9938 / 3°59'37"W
OS Eastings: 280652
OS Northings: 848630
OS Grid: NH806486
Mapcode National: GBR J8HW.58W
Mapcode Global: WH4GD.MGC0
Entry Name: Holme Rose
Listing Date: 26 January 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 332560
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB1812
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Croy and Dalcross
Electoral Ward: Nairn and Cawdor
Traditional County: Inverness-shire
Early 19th century single pile range (possibly by William
Robertson) fronting and flanking later 18th century house.
3-storey, 3-bay house with 2-storey rear courtyard range
possibly including earlier stables. 2-storey, 7-bay SE
symmetrical frontage. Red droved ashlar frontage and side
elevations, rubble rear, polished ashlar dressings. Band
courses moulded eaves cornices; symmetrical ridge and end
corniced stacks to main house.
Slightly advanced centre bay with projecting semi-circular
portico supported by 2 pairs Roman Doric columns; simple
panelled and corniced entablature; shallow flight
semi-circular steps. Centre door with decorative fanlight and
flanking side lights; centre 1st floor window set in blind
lunette with stepped blocking course above main cornice. Tall
flanking ground floor windows; shorter 1st floor windows
linked by cill band. Symmetrical double pile 3-storey return
elevations with some blind windows. Large sun lounge slapped
in SW return elevation ground floor (1930's). Semi-circular
stair tower projects centre rear in courtyard, rising full
height in centre of later 18th century 3-bay symmetrical rear
elevation. Blocked door at base of stair tower.
Early 19th century 2-storey courtyard range to rear, with
4-bay side elevations. Inner court has covered way on 3
sides, supported by stone Roman Doric columns, infilled in
1930's with each bay lit by bowed windows.
Multi-pane glazing throughout. Slate roofs.
Interior; early 19th century corniced plaster ceilings with
decorative centre pieces in drawing and dining rooms left and
right of plain entrance hall; panelled doors with simple
corniced architraves; panelled window shutters; 1930's
decorative wall light niches in dining room. Various changes
of level in 1st and 2nd floors, owing to differences of
height between original inner 3-storey house and later 2
Family of Rose of Holme disjointed from Rose of Kilravock in
Early 19th century staircase between ground and 1st floor
removed during 1930s alterations. The attribution to
Robertson is on stylistic evidence.
Other nearby listed buildings