Church orientated east-west and sited to south of monastery and school to which it is linked by short East Cloister (P. P. Pugin 1880) and Chapter House (probably also P. P. Pugin, 1896). Church principally designed by Reginald Fairlie in two stages, 1914-17 and 1949-58. First stage includes monks' choir with north and south aisles, Blessed Sacrament chapel at southeast, St Andrew's Chapel of 1893 (P. P. Pugin) to southwest. Second stage; north and south aisles. Narthex and west porch with baptistry designed by Charles Gray, 1966. Interior of church completed 1980 by W. W. Allan. Tall rectangular building with gabled centre flanked by flat roofed aisles; all pinned varied coloured squared granite with tooled granite dressings. Six long, narrow round-headed windows light north elevation; similar single window in centre of west gable, which is fronted by gabled narthex and porch, with semi-circular glazed baptistry projecting at north. Interior; Romanesque detailing. Monks' choir with three-bay arcades of high round pillars supporting round-headed arches, clerestory and timber hammer-beam angle roof. Choir divided from aisles by simple parclose screen. Plain semi-circular apse pierced by orange glazed cross and upper lights. High Altar raised on podium between monks' choir and nave. Nave divided from north and south aisles by octagonal pillars of Covesea stone rising to round-headed arches; plain white walls. Blessed Sacrament chapel at southeast (1917) with altar under rich embossed deerskin baldachino supported on painted facetted columns (R. Fairlie). Moulded joists to timber ceiling. Podium and flooring throughout most of church laid with varied green Coniston slate.
The Abbey Church was converted into residential and holiday apartments in 2012 (2019).
Statement of Interest
Ecclesiastical building which was converted into residential and holiday apartments in 2012. Up-graded category B to A 7 May 1999. Listed Building record updated May 2019.