This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.5043 / 55°30'15"N
Longitude: -2.8156 / 2°48'56"W
OS Eastings: 348580
OS Northings: 623694
OS Grid: NT485236
Mapcode National: GBR 84SS.7P
Mapcode Global: WH7X1.QXF6
Entry Name: North Synton
Listing Date: 23 June 2003
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 332692
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB1919
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Selkirkshire
Traditional County: Roxburghshire
16th century, with 1689 and later alterations. 2-storey and part-basement, 3-bay farmhouse with single storey extensions. Whitewashed rubble with some quoin strips, stone cills and painted margins. Corniced, roll-moulded doorpiece. Stone mullions.
N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: projecting bay to centre with moulded doorpiece incorporating relief carved lintel with 'MRC?IS 1689', deep-set boarded timber door and 3-part fanlight; re-entrant angle to left with low piend-roofed bay with window in return to left, and tiny window to 1st floor of set-back face; further single storey piended
projection with bipartite window and single window on return to left in re-entrant angle to right, this adjoining single storey bays projecting at outer right.
E ELEVATION: blank gabled elevation.
S ELEVATION: bays grouped (2-1). Part basement to left; centre bay with pitch-roofed porch, door slightly to left at basement, window to centre at ground and door on return to right, windows in flanking bays (that to right converted to bipartite), further windows in adjoining single storey bays at outer left; regular fenestration to 1st floor; 3 small cast-iron rooflights above.
4-, 8-pane and plate glass glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Mutuled brick stacks.
INTERIOR: not seen 2002.
The principal rectangle of the farmhouse is the earliest part, being of 16th century date, and was probably built by James Vach who succeeded to the lands of Synton in 1536. The north centre projection and 17th century dated lintel were probably installed by Robert Cunningham and his wife, possibly Isabel Scott of Synton. The Inventory mentions a vaulted basement of 16th century date, as well as a southern entrance with round-arched doorway and 'shelved aumbry'.