This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6903 / 55°41'24"N
Longitude: -3.2194 / 3°13'9"W
OS Eastings: 323441
OS Northings: 644761
OS Grid: NT234447
Mapcode National: GBR 52YN.T1
Mapcode Global: WH6TY.J75M
Plus Code: 9C7RMQRJ+47
Entry Name: North Lodge, Cringletie House
Listing Name: Cringletie House, Including Lodges, Walled Garden, Sundial and Dovecot
Listing Date: 23 February 1971
Last Amended: 10 August 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 332862
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB2035
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Tweeddale West
Traditional County: Peeblesshire
Tagged with: Gatehouse
David Bryce, 1861, incorporating earlier fabric. Small asymmetrical Baronial mansion, 3-storey and attic M-roofed block to S, 2 storeys to centre, with single storey U-plan stable block adjoining to N. Squared and snecked stugged pink sandstone. Moulded eaves course. Crowstepped gables. Stop-chamfered surrounds to windows. Walled garden predates house.
E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: projecting gabled block to centre with apex stack: finialled, slated porch with shoulder-arched entrance, carved panel with heraldic device in gable and chamfered, mullioned openings to sides; tripartite mullioned window to 1st floor at centre; ball-finialled, conical-roofed circular tower to left with tripartite mullioned window to 1st floor; carved panel with heraldic device to outer right. 2 bays to left: tripartite mullioned and transomed window to 1st floor at right; gabled dormerheaded window breaking eaves to left; 2 lucarnes to attic. Single storey bay to right: tall segmental-gabled window with Bryce's monogram and date (1861) breaking eaves.
S ELEVATION: double gable, with 2 apex stacks linked by corbelled-out crenellated parapet (concealing valley gutter) with trefoil and cannon spout. Ball-finialled bartizans to corners. Tripartite mullioned window to 1st floor; moulded string course stepping up over 2nd floor window to right and inscribed panel to left (see Notes). Modern conservatory adjoining at ground floor.
W (GARDEN) ELEVATION: 4-bay 3-storey and attic block to right: 2-storey canted windows with crenellated parapets to right and left; monogrammed segmental pediment to 1st floor window in 2nd bay from left; 2 further carved heraldic panels to centre; 4 windows with monogrammed, pedimented gables breaking eaves to 2nd floor; 4 lucarned windows to attic. 2-storey 3-bay block to centre: modillioned eaves course; hoodmoulds to windows; corbelled-out canted window with crenellated parapet to left at 1st floor. Plain windowless rear elevation of stable block to left.
U-PLAN STABLE-BLOCK TO N: tall pyramidally-coped ashlar gatepiers to E, flanking entrance to cobbled court; gabled blocks to 3 sides of court; kitchen block to S (thistle finial to right); sliding timber doors to rear block; finialled, louvred lucarnes to roofs. Timber boarded door to hayloft in gable of N elevation.
INTERIOR: vestibule by Bryce. Further interior decoration early 20th century. Shell niche in stair hall; timber staircase with twisted balusters and panelled newel posts. Panelled rooms with marble and carved timber chimneypieces. Drawing room (now dining room) at 1st floor with garlanded timber chimneypiece and pedimented overmantle, and trompe l'oeil painted ceiling: central roundel (torus moulding) depicting heavenly classical scene; monogrammed cartouches (GES - George and Elizabeth Sutherland), sky, swagged balconies and floral urns in further panels.
Predominantly 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Green/grey slates; fish-scale to conical roofs. Cast-iron down pipes with decorative hoppers (some monogrammed). Corniced wallhead, end and ridge stacks with circular cans.
E LODGE: 1857 with later alterations and additions. Single storey lodge. Bracketed eaves. Harled with corner pilaster strips. Bow window to N. Date (1857) and initials WM (Wolfe Murray) over blocked entrance. Some lattice glazing.
N LODGE: mid 19th century with many later alterations and additions. Single storey lodge with bracketed eaves.
WALLED GARDEN: to N of house. Rectangular-plan coped rubble walls. Lean-to glasshouses along N wall. Axial grass path to centre with sundial at axis, flanked by wide clipped yew hedges.
SUNDIAL: mid-19th century. Octagonal baluster with acanthus-leaf decoration; square-plan top with copper plate and gnomon.
DOVECOT: to SW of house. Small pyramidal-roofed square-plan building; rubble with long and short sandstone quoins. Modern segmental-arched opening to S; 4 small rectangular openings above, cutting across previous circular opening.
Now a hotel, belonging (2001) to the Wren Group. Previous house on site built by Alexander Murray of Black Barony, who purchased the land in 1666. The house belonged to the Murray family (later known as Wolfe Murray) until 1941. The old house appears on William Edgar's 1741 map of Peebleshire; Armstrong's map of 1775 shows the development of the surrounding parkland; the 1856 OS map shows the plan of the old house, with similar footprint to Bryce's 2 principal blocks, and a small building to N, incorporated by Bryce in the stable block, and also the walled garden (including glasshouses). The dovecot building appears on the 18th century plans. Panel in S wall reads WHATEVER ME BEFALL THANKS THE LORD OF ALL.
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.