This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.4579 / 55°27'28"N
Longitude: -2.6845 / 2°41'4"W
OS Eastings: 356811
OS Northings: 618437
OS Grid: NT568184
Mapcode National: GBR 95PB.MB
Mapcode Global: WH7XH.Q2WR
Entry Name: Denholm, the Green, Leyden Monument
Listing Date: 7 November 2007
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 332881
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB2053
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Hawick and Denholm
Traditional County: Roxburghshire
Hector H Orrock (architect), A Handyside Ritchie, (sculptor), 1861. Square-plan, Decorated Gothic spire monument to John Leyden. Stepped base sourmounted by two stages of short clustered columns with foliate capitals, surrounding inscribed plaques at lower stage and supporting open arrangement of trefoil-headed arches set under crocketed gablets; draped urn to interior. Sculpted figures and animals at corners. Banded and crocketed pinnacle above. Swinton sandstone; columns of polished red Aberdeen granite. Plaques on lower stage and between stages commemorate Leyden and his descendant John Lamb Leyden and contain Biblical quotations and extracts from Leyden's work. Monument enclosed by decorative iron railings.
The monument occupies a very prominent position in the centre of the village green and is an important focal point in the townscape. It was erected by public subscription. John Leyden (1775-1811) was a native of Denholm and was an antiquarian, physician and poet. It also commemorates his descendant John Lamb Leyden (1904-1988) who was a 'traveller and kindred spirit'.
Other nearby listed buildings