This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6201 / 55°37'12"N
Longitude: -2.3955 / 2°23'43"W
OS Eastings: 375189
OS Northings: 636354
OS Grid: NT751363
Mapcode National: GBR C3QG.55
Mapcode Global: WH8XT.5ZKX
Entry Name: Easter Hendersyde (Formerly East Lodge) Gatepiers, Gates and Walls
Listing Date: 16 August 2007
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 332913
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB2076
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Kelso and District
Traditional County: Roxburghshire
William Cockburn, circa 1840. 4 square-plan, pyramid-capped, corniced sandstone ashlar gatepiers linked to curved walls to form entrance gateway at former East Lodge of Hendersyde Park Estate. Cast-iron gates to carriageway and pedestrian gateways. Finely coped ashlar walls with cope stones.
The gates, gatepiers and curved entrance walls are of good quality stonework and form an important element of the Hendersyde Park Estate, marking the entrance to the estate from the East. The stone came from the Hendersyde Quarry.
The Hendersyde Park policies straddle two parishes, with the West and North lodges falling into Kelso Parish and the main house and other associated estate buildings falling within Ednam Parish.
Hendersyde Park was the seat of the Waldie family. Notable family members include Robert Waldie, who was a friend of Sir Walter Scott. Scott was a regular visitor to the Hendersyde and made use of their extensive library. John Waldie was a writer and a bound manuscript of his is held within the 19th century manuscripts collection at Yale University. The original house to the estate was the only mansion in Ednam Parish at the time of the 2nd Statistical Account. It was replaced by the present house in about 1940.
Three near-identical lodges were built for the house at the North, East and West entrances to the park. Only the West Lodge survives in an unaltered condition, and is listed seperately. The East Lodge, situated adjacent to these gatepiers, has a large and unsympathetic roof extension.
Other nearby listed buildings