This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.4988 / 57°29'55"N
Longitude: -3.6371 / 3°38'13"W
OS Eastings: 301985
OS Northings: 846579
OS Grid: NJ019465
Mapcode National: GBR K8DX.0NB
Mapcode Global: WH5HQ.3S97
Plus Code: 9C9RF9X7+G5
Entry Name: Edinkillie Parish Church
Listing Name: Edinkillie Parish Church (Church of Scotland), Watch House and Burial Ground
Listing Date: 26 January 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 333064
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB2187
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Forres
Traditional County: Morayshire
1741, renovated 1813. Simple rectangular church with long 6-
bay S elevation. Harled with ashlar margins and dressings. 3
irregular piended or gabled projections at rear, with
entrances in outer return re-entrant angles with window above,
and housing stairwell and vestry. Later single keystoned
oculus in outer bays. 6 square-headed symmetrical windows
in S elevation; round-headed keystoned gallery window with
block imposts lights each gable.
Multi-pane glazing; simple bellcote at W gable, finial at E;
slate roof. Mural memorial plaque at base of W gable.
INTERIOR: galleried interior to 3 sides, narrow at S and
largely infilled by 1941 organ. Panelled demi-octagonal
pulpit in centre S wall with similarly shaped sounding board;
panelled back-board with flanking fluted pilasters. Plain
pine pews; simple shallow panelling to gallery front; 1941
Simple pine dado to entrance passage accommodating re-set
stone armorial dated 166?6, initialled MD and with worn
WATCH HOUSE- early 19th century rubble hexagonal watch house
with centre door in N face and flanking windows; rear
wallhead stack; facetted local slate roof; apex ball finial.
Former manse garden wall abuts watch house each side.
BURIAL GROUND: drystone wall encloses burial ground; squat
round rubble piers flank entrance with round stone caps.
18th and 19th century tombstones.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.
Re-set armorial in church initialled MD (Mark?) Dunbar with
Dunbar coat of arms. The Dunbars owned Dunphail castle during
16th, 17th and early 18th centuries.
Mural plaque and tomb at W gable to Sir Thomas Dick Lauder of Fountainhall and Relugas, author of 'An Account of the Great
Floods of August 1829' who died in Edinburgh 29th May 1848.
Fine row of Collection Ladles hang in entrance passage.
Communion table given in memory of Fl Lt Robert Bruce of
Glenerney, killed in action 1941.
Other nearby listed buildings