This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.6069 / 57°36'24"N
Longitude: -3.6686 / 3°40'7"W
OS Eastings: 300392
OS Northings: 858661
OS Grid: NJ003586
Mapcode National: GBR K89M.B6Y
Mapcode Global: WH5H9.M279
Entry Name: Dalvey House
Listing Date: 26 January 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 333166
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB2277
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Dyke and Moy
Electoral Ward: Forres
Parish: Dyke And Moy
Traditional County: Morayshire
Classical circa 1810. Classical mansion with extensive addition.
Peter Fulton, Forres, 1897. 2-storey over raised basement, 5-bay S facing house the centre 3 bays under open pediment, with 2-bay return elevations; 1897 extension continuous with W
return gable and of similar height with symmetrical 5-bay W
front forming overall L-plan mansion.
Tooled ashlar throughout with tooled and polished ashlar
S FRONT: centre entrance reached by perron oversailing raised
basement. Corniced doorpiece with paired Roman Doric columns
supporting entablature decorated with bucrania and swagged
urns; radial fanlight; panelled door. Centre 1st floor
keystoned Venetian window with engaged reeded Ionic pilaster
jambs and scroll blocked cill. Moulded architraves to
flanking windows in bays 2 and 4, plain margins to
fenestration elsewhere. Outer bays delineated by giant
pilasters; 3 swagged urns surmount pediment linked at
wallhead to end dies by balustrade. 12-pane glazing; end
wallhead stacks; piended platform slate roof.
W WING: dated 1897. Symmetrical 5 bays to pedimented facade;
wide centre bay slightly advanced with angle pilasters
projecting 6-light window at basement and raised ground
floor. Keystoned attic window with dated segmental pediment;
2-pane glazing. Corniced stacks; piended platform slate roof. Substantial 2-storey porch at N with glazed 1st floor and
INTERIOR: raised ground floor of early house with centre
entrance hall and drawing room (R), dining room (L).
DRAWING ROOM: swagged frieze; similar decoration to corniced
overdoors, beaded panelled doors, window shutters and dados;
carved white painted chimneypiece with circa 1900 overmantel
and coloured marble slips to modern grate.
DINING ROOM: beaded panelled doors, dados and window
shutters; buffet recess flanked by reeded Corinthian
pilasters; swagged cornice with urns and bucrania; carved
chimneypiece with dark marble slips and original basket
STAIRHALL AND STAIRCASE: completely re-modelled in 1897,
though cornice survives.
SITTING-DINING ROOM IN 1897 WING: former nursery suite,
decorative plaster cornice, panelled doors and window
shutters; deep bay window, high dado in sitting area linked
Dalvey formerly Grangehill belonging to Pluscarden Abbey.
Passed to Earl of Dunfermline at Reformation, purchased by
Mark Dunbar of Durris 1608; sold by Dunbars to Sir Alexander
Grant of Dalvey near Advie, in 1797, who changed name of
property. Sir Alexander Grant (brother of Sir Ludovic Grant
of Castle Grant and Moy) was a 'merchant prince' in London.
He lost money and Dalvey sold circa 1800 to Alexander Macleod
of Greshornish, Skye (cadet branch of Macleod of Dunvegan),
b.1756. Married Marion Macleod of Berneray,1796,
d.1822. Property in Macleod family ever since.
Large and much altered steading and farm square dated 1770.
Other nearby listed buildings