This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.5744 / 57°34'27"N
Longitude: -3.683 / 3°40'58"W
OS Eastings: 299441
OS Northings: 855064
OS Grid: NH994550
Mapcode National: GBR K88P.X77
Mapcode Global: WH5H9.DWD8
Plus Code: 9C9RH8F8+QQ
Entry Name: Darnaway Castle
Listing Name: Darnaway Castle and Terraces
Listing Date: 26 January 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 333172
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB2283
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Dyke and Moy
Electoral Ward: Forres
Parish: Dyke And Moy
Traditional County: Morayshire
Alexander Laing, dated 1802-12, mansion on site of earlier
castle and fronting re-cased mid 15th century Randolph's
Hall. Castellated N facing 3 and 4-storey rectangular 11-bay
mansion with Randolph's hall projecting at rear to form
T-plan. Further single storey kitchen range of varied height
extends at W.
Tooled red sandstone ashlar, polished ashlar dressings.
Outer and centre 3 bays slightly advanced, the centre block
rising to 4 storeys. Centre entrance in raised ground floor
in N front reached by balustraded perron (1870) linked to
balustraded screen wall masking raised basement. Entrance
porch flanked by engaged columns linked by balustrade with
coat of arms.
Storeys delineated by band courses and all windows (except
raised basement) hoodmoulded (pointed headed in centre 3 bays
raised ground and 1st floors) and linked by cill bands.
Corbelled and crenellated wallhead with dummy angle
bartizans; piended platform slate and lead roofs.
RANDOLPH'S HALL: 3 long Y-traceried windows with stained
glass light E and W elevations. Further window in S gable;
crenellated wallhead matching frontage; steeply pitched slate
KITCHEN: extensive single storey kitchen range lit by
pointed-and square-headed windows (the former with
intersecting tracery); clock tower with open cupola above
clock stage capped by leaded multi-facetted leaded dome with
4 diminutive louvred lucarnes and weathervane finial. Service
court enclosed by high buttressed wall (1920).
INTERIOR: Entrance hall with ornate plaster frieze and 4
marbled columns; marble chimneypiece with swagged detailing.
Entrance hall leads direct to RANDOLPH'S HALL with mid 15th
century hammer beam roof; re-modelled 1802-12 and circa 1900.
MIRRORED E AND W STAIRHALLS AND STAIRCASES linked at raised
ground floor and 1st floor by long corridors with
intermediate arches. Ornate cast-iron balustrade to
staircases with lion's head detailing; decorative plaster
ceiling to stairwell.
DRAWING ROOM: white marble chimneypiece; plaster frieze with
anthemion and urn decoration.
DINING ROOM: screen of marbled columns separates sideboard
recess; grey marble chimneypiece with fluted columns and
KITCHEN linked to dining room by colonaded passage.
TERRACES: wide raised balustraded terrace encloses area
fronting main entrance to castle.
Further balustraded terracing at E.
In 1314 King Robert the Bruce erected his lands in Moray into
an Earldom and bestowed it on his nephew Thomas Randolph.
Earldom reverted to Crown 1455 and in 1501 James IV granted
it to his illegitimate son, James Stuart. Various similar
vicissitudes and subsequent reversals to Crown. 1580 James VI
granted Earldom to James Stewart heir to Stewarts of Doune
who married Lady Elizabeth, daughter of deceased Earl of
Moray, and family descended through that line to present
time. Kitchen clock tower originally designed as water tower.
Clock installed circa 1950, having been removed from
Kinfauns, Perthshire, after Moray Estates disposed of that
Other nearby listed buildings