This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.71 / 57°42'36"N
Longitude: -3.4248 / 3°25'29"W
OS Eastings: 315201
OS Northings: 869805
OS Grid: NJ152698
Mapcode National: GBR K8XB.V6R
Mapcode Global: WH6HZ.CGCS
Entry Name: Hopeman Lodge
Listing Date: 26 January 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 333210
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB2312
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Heldon and Laich
Traditional County: Morayshire
2-storey, 5-bay S facing house of 3 distinct builds. Circa
1810, simple single storey, 3-bay house with set-back wings;
rear extension comprising coach house and raised ground floor
drawing and dining rooms, William Robertson, circa 1830;
re-modelled and raised to 2 storeys (over raised basement)
with advanced flanking wings, R B Pratt, 1911-12. Harled,
tooled and polished ashlar margins.
5-bay front with outer bays advanced as wings. Centre
entrance masked by 1911-12 porch approached by flight of
steps, round-headed doorway with radial fanlight, open
pedimented and pilastered detailing to doorpiece.
Centre 1st floor tripartite (1911-12) with lights divided
by Doric columns; upper fenestration linked by continuous
Symmetrical 3-bay rear fenestration, the wide former carriage
house entrance having been blocked 1911-12 and plaque with
Gordon-Duff motto inserted in centre of raised ground floor. 2-pane glazing.
Paired coped ridge stacks; shallow piended slate roofs.
Service court extends at east enclosed by coped wall.
INTERIOR: now holiday flats. Circa 1840 white marble
chimneypiece with cusped detailing in rear sitting room.
Hopeman Lodge was built by William Young of Burghead and
Inverugie during his ownership of Hopeman 1803-17. The
property was sold in 1817 to William Stewart, and again
in 1837 to Admiral Duff of Drummuir, in whose family it
remained until circa 1970. The extensive 1911-12 alterations
were effected by Thomas Gordon-Duff of Drummuir, when the
former rear lower ground floor carriage house was converted
to service quarters, and the side wings advanced to form
Gordon-Duff motto inscribed on plaque at rear reads:
'Kind hearts be true
And ye shall never rue.'
Change of category B to C(S), 25.4.89