This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.5086 / 57°30'30"N
Longitude: -3.1858 / 3°11'8"W
OS Eastings: 329047
OS Northings: 847105
OS Grid: NJ290471
Mapcode National: GBR L8HW.9BH
Mapcode Global: WH6K2.1J6Q
Entry Name: Arndilly House
Listing Date: 22 February 1972
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 333212
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB2314
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Speyside Glenlivet
Traditional County: Banffshire
Circa 1770, additions William Robertson, Elgin, 1826; re-modelled 1850, architect Thomas MacKenzie, Elgin. Tall 3-storey and attic, wide 3-bay S facing mansion with single storey rear wings enclosing narrow service court closed at N by long single storey and loft N facing stable range. Mixed granite rubble, tooled granite ashlar dressings to all mid-18th century work; polished sandstone ashlar dressings to 1850 re-modelling.
1850 centre entrance under round-headed arch with radial fanlight and flanked by similar shaped aproned windows, all linked by continuous moulded shaped cornice. Entrance fronted by 1850 arcaded and keystoned balustraded porte-cochere supporting ornamental urns. Centre projecting canted 1st and 2nd floor window (1850); full-heigh circa 1770 canted projecting windows at E and W gables, at W fronted by substantial 1850 circular terrace built over single storey drum shaped wing containing cool store; terrace reched by curved balustraded stair built against S face of curved wall.
Small square angle and front wallhead turrets with ogee slated roofs, shaped centre wallhead gablet, shaped end gables and pedimented dormer windows, all dating from 1850; multi-pane glazing.
Dated 1850 rainwater goods; paired heightened ridge stacks; slate roofs.
Circa 1770 rear central stair turret terminating in shallow pyramidal roof and flanked at NE by 3-storey, single bay wing (probably 1826).
Rear arched entrance to service court through stable block; low coped wall encloses rear stable court.
INTERIOR: simple entrance hall leading to circular rear stairhall with fine circular cantilevered staircase rising full 2-storey height. Moulded underside to stairs; turned wooden balusters and wooden handrail, shaped at 1st floor landing. Pair shallow round-headed niches ground and 1st
Principal public rooms at 1st floor level:-
DRAWING ROOM: W facing room with fine circa 1770 plaster ceiling with ornate angle urns and deep cornice; fielded panelled window shutters and doors, the later with carved overdoors decorated with shell detailing. Somewhat altered white marble chimneypiece with yellow marble inlay.
DINING ROOM: 1850 glazed mural cupboards with moulded surrounds and angle rosettes.
SITTING ROOM: E facing room with 1850 compartmented plaster ceiling; panelled doors and window shutters; carved chimneypiece.
Inscribed Pictish stone (Scheduled Ancient Monument No 348) incorporated in masonry in W gable, said to have been built into wall of former church of Arndilly. Arndilly the seat of the MacDowall Grants in 18th and 19th centuries. Rainwater goods initialled H McD G (Hay MacDowall Grant).
Upgraded: B to A, 24.3.88.
Other nearby listed buildings